• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Id Theft Is Killing Me! Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miapluck

What is the name of your state? maryland
july 2002 in richmond va my planner was lost and found by a crook who opened a bank of america checking account and wrote checks to numerous merchants which are now hounding me and caused judgements to be added to my credit. they wrote checks in other states as well i dont know what to do the person was caught only because she was pulled over and gave my ssn and later caught from the plates on car. the girl is 17 and is considered a minor she has ruined my life forever more than likely. i want her under the jail but im laid off and i dont know what to do about a lawyer because this is overwhelming for me. f i need a lawyer that will donate time if possible. i use to live in va where this all took place. i want to sue bank of america for letting her open the account after the bank manager told me she thought it was something about the person but still let them open the account. i also have felony warrants out for my arrest in va and i have to pay for an expungement of my arrest record in hampton va which they did not arrest me the arrested the girl and why do i have to pay for this they know it was not me this is unfair what can i do please please help.

Last edited:

Beth3

The Federal Trade Commission has considerable information on their web site regarding identity theft (www.ftc.gov) or you can go directly to the appropriate web page at their site: www.consumer.gov/idtheft. An ID Theft Affidavit is available at their site that may be completed and faxed to the national consumer reporting agencies if you discover a problem, as well as information on what other steps you should take, such as contacting the police and the fraud departments with each creditor.

You should also contact each of the consumer reporting agencies directly and inform them what has taken place:

Equifax 1-800-525-6285
Experian 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289

It sounds however as though this problem is pretty far down the pike. I expect the assistance of an attorney is necessary, especially since there is a warrant out for your arrest. If there is a Legal Aid Society in your area, you can contact them. They offer legal representation on a sliding fee basis.

As to whether you have any basis to sue BoA, you'll have to let an attorney advise you.

C

cscjta

You may be able to enlist the assistance of the prosecutor who is prosecuting the juvenile. He/she may be willing to vouch that they are prosecuting another for stealing your ID - that may help in Virginia. You should also get copies of any police reports, if possible, that involve you as the victim/complainant. In Virginia you can get a public defender or court-appointed attorney to represent you, if you cannot afford an attorney. You should get any outstanding warrants for you taken care of ASAP - the longer you delay, the harder it will be to get people to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">