• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Idenity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candyjo

I am from the state of Illinois and I have a question about idenity theft. Two years ago my son who lives in another state gave me permission to get a credit card in his name as long as I paid the bill. I didn't pay the bill and the illinois state police came to my house yesterday and said that my son called them and never gave his permission for me to do that. I have never been in trouble with the law no arests nothing. The investigator that came out said that he is going to do an investigation on me to see if I had continued to use my son's idenity and that all information would be turned over to the states attorney's office and he would decide if they would press charges or not. There was only 1 credit card used but they say 2 were used. What kind of bond would I have to pay if I was arrested, and do you think that I would be arrested? Thank you.

racer72

You must really hate your son. For him to take these actions he probably had to go through bill collection hell and was given one of two choices. Either pay your bill or make a fraud claim with the credit card company. Depending on the investigation, you may only be cited or could be arrested. You can expect some hefty fines and will be held liable for the debt. Seems to me paying the bill would have been a lot easier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">