• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insider

What is the name of your state? NY

What is the name of your state? NY

My father's crazy soon to be x wife is at it again. They have been living in separate houses for the last 7 months with two separate restraining order. One month after living apart she got online and changed my father's life insurance beneficary from me (I have been on this policy for the last 21 years) to her. She then called the insurance company the next day and confirmed this. There is a voice recording of this and her IP address.

She then got online and filled his prescription but did not pick them up. The IP address again was the same as above.

A week later she redeemed his bonus points at Dicks Sporting Goods and used her credit card to pay for her purchase. Her name was not on this Bonus Point System.

She then began applying for credit cards in soley in his name to which my father put a block on his credit. The IP Addresses go back to her.

She is having all kinds of junk mail sent to his house, four companies linked these brochures to her IP Address.

The police confiscated her computer and stated it will take a year or so to get the evidence from it. Here is the problem. She has a child with the Police Captain and has had several relationships with other officers. She has a lot of pull and it now seems they are shoving this under the carpet. They are stating this is harrassement and basically a $50.00 fine.

We have serious concerns with her changing the beneficary of his life insurance since her job is a prison guard. She was recently written up for being too chummy with two inmates. She has made statements that my father will die sooner or later.

What kind of charges can she be arrested for? Does identity theft carry a jail sentence? Could they push this all under the carpet and say they are still married so she has a right to do these things?

outonbail

I assume your father has an attorney handling the divorce. So he should bring these issues up with his attorney asap and bring all proof of the ISP address used to do the things your claiming.
His first order of business is taking whatever measures he has to in order to protect himself and his credit/assets from her scornful reach. This would include going into all his on line accessable accounts and insurance policies. He must have used passwords and control questions that she knows. Tell him to change all of his passwords and use control questions that she would have no way of finding the answers to.
He should do this with all websites and public utility/phone accounts immediately!

What is spelled out on the protection orders they have filed against each other?
Perhaps he has to request the courts to modify them so they include an order to stop her from attempting to gain access to his personal records / accounts and to stop representing herself as his spouse and/or beneficiary.

If she has had a child with the captain of the police department, he probably already knows she's an idiot, especially if she's been getting passed among the ranks like a hot potato.

Why do they have her computer? If you have the proof of her ISP address being used to access your fathers information/accounts, what is it they are trying to pull from her hard drive?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">