• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carbo

It has come to my attention that someone I know has obtained my birthdate and social security number, and has made a veiled threat that he can do some personal harm to me with this information. To my knowledge, at this point he has not used this info in any way. What are my legal options at this point?
To say I'm concerned is an understatement! Thank you so much.

S

sdc12270

Response

I am not an attorney.
You should do what many people who have their identities stolen do - first, report this to all three credit agencies, Transunion, Equifax, etc.
Have them put a fraud alert for identity thef on your credit file. This should require (or at least encourage) creditors to contact you at home before accepting credit cad application, loan apps, anything that someone moght try to get in your name. It also notifys creditros that someone might be posing as you.
Second, make sure you are shredding your mail and any important papers you are throwing out. I located a debtor just by going through her garbage. And just don't single shred it (can be pieced back together), but get a particle shredder.
Get a lcking mail box if you don't have one.
Ask yourself, "How did this person that is now threatening me, get my personal onfo to begin with?"
And remember, this person has just informed you of who to look for first if things start going wrong...
Good luck!

J

jellis4795

person threatning with ssn and birthdate

you should call the credit bureaus to see if anyone has applied for credit using your name and ssn-like the previous reply ask them to flag your file with a code word that only you can give-i doubt that they will do anything unless it is to get utitilies in their name-watch that

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">