• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft/Privacy Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdfmoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Let me start with i am not sure this is the actual place to post this. I have been a victim of impersonation/identity theft somewhat.

I booked two reservations at a Prestigious Hotel in Nevada. I booked them online and was sent two confirmation codes in my email. I found out through an individual at work that another co worker famous for pulling pranks was in the process of trying to access my confirmation numbers to tamper with my reservation. The co worker called the hotel, and some how was able to have a fax containing my name, confirmation number, arrival and departure date, amount charge to my credit card, and the amount remaining to be charged. He did this with my name and address only, no credit card information. With this information he is able to log onto the website and access the last 4 digits of my credit card in which i booked the rooms on. The fax was sent to a number not associated with my reservation. With this information he can change the reservation, reserve a different room, charge show tickets, etc you get the picture. I called the hotel and they assured me they did not send a fax, they would only email. I happen to apprehend the fax and sent it back to the hotel proving to them they did send a fax. The hotel only offered me an apology and they would forward this to their manager about a possible change in their policy.

My co-worker is being dealt with by management at my work. I would like to know what are my options in dealing with the hotel. I am simply not pleased with the response of i am sorry. I do not have to tell you all what i feel like, i was impersonated and luckily i caught this before it got out of hand. I do not see how reasonable steps were taken to protect my identity.

Desperate in need of some advice

This was taken from their website
"Our staff is required to take reasonable measures to ensure that unauthorized persons cannot view or access your Personal Information. Employees who violate our privacy policies are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is it that you are expecting from the hotel? What measures do you think they should have taken that they did not? What response from them WOULD satisfy you?

jdfmoc

The steps the hotel should have take are:
A. Send the confirmation number to the email address listed on the reservation
B. Send it via us postal service to the address listed on the reservation

Send a fax to a number not on the reservation is uncalled for.

In response, I am not sure what the hotel should do in response. With all the identity theft problems this hotel should be more cautious how they give information out. This is why i came to this forum, what advice would you give me when addressing with the hotel further. What do you feel is a resolution to this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm wondering how the hotel could have been expected to know that this was not you.

jdfmoc

The hotel told me they were not able to send a fax to someone who could not verify the last 4 digits of a credit card, or the confirmation number. I know this person does not have my credit card number. Therefore he was able to convince a person it was me. Simply an address or some form of information.

swalsh411

You have no standing to force the hotel to discipline any of their employees. If you don't like how they do business, stay somewhere else. As far as I can tell, your credit card information was not compromised so I don't see how you have any damages. This is a hotel reservation you're talking about here, not sensitive medical information. Or are you embarrassed because you were planning a tryst and got caught?

And you can't know for sure this person didn't have the last 4 digits of your credit card number.

I dont see a pursuable criminal matter here against the hotel. Perhaps you were so traumatized by the horrible event you have recoverable damages... of course, this isnt looking like the type of thing a contingency based representation could be secured... if you want criminal action taken against your co worker, file a police report and the DA can investigate for charges. You might check with the civil department of this website...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">