• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity theft question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carofl93

State is FL.

I recently got a copy of my credit history via my employer, who ran a credit background due to my working with credit card info. I didn't pay much attention to the paperwork when I got it, but sat down and looked at it earlier today. I wish I'd looked at it sooner, because there is a major problem with it.

I have an auto loan. I didn't put in for the auto loan....everything is in my husband's name because I have only recently started working since we've been married. I've never, ever had an auto loan, only a few credit cards.

The odd thing about the auto loan is that it is through a bank that my husband's ex wife once worked for. There are no branches for this particular bank in our area. The loan is in good standing, but it isn't mine.

I am planning to contact the bank on Monday to find out the particulars on the loan. I have all sorts of thoughts running through my head at the moment, and have a few questions.

1. Who will be held responsible for this fraudulent use of my information?
2. If it was the ex, will she be held accountable?
3. Will her husband also be held accountable since she has no job (he is in the US Navy)?
4. If I find out that my SSN was obtained from the department of children and family services or through the dumb butts at medical records for the Air Force, will they be held responsible as well? I ask this question because when I was going to have my first child, her info was in my med record chart and they referred to me by her name.

Thank you,
Carol

Please let me know if more info is needed. I am hoping that this is just some sort of screw up on the report, but with all of the BS we've been through with the deadbeat mother of the year, I wouldn't put it past her to try something like this.

CdwJava

Before you start leaping to conclusions of fraud and making accusations that are false, speak to the bank holding the loan as well as the credit reporting company. It COULD be a big error ... it is NOT uncommon for an error to occur involving the reporting. It IS uncommon for an auto loan to be taken out using someone else's info.

- Carl

CdwJava

If it IS an unlawful act ...

carofl93 said:
1. Who will be held responsible for this fraudulent use of my information?
The person who unlawfully used it.

2. If it was the ex, will she be held accountable?
That depends on the evidence.

3. Will her husband also be held accountable since she has no job (he is in the US Navy)?
Maybe in civil court. But I am not sure to what extent FL will cover a criminal act under community property. I suspect he could be held partially accountable for any financial loss, but that would be for a civil court to decide.

4. If I find out that my SSN was obtained from the department of children and family services or through the dumb butts at medical records for the Air Force, will they be held responsible as well?
If you prove it, someone might get in trouble. But, the problem would be proving it was obtained unlawfully. It might be nothing more than a personnel matter unless the act was malicious.

I ask this question because when I was going to have my first child, her info was in my med record chart and they referred to me by her name.
Sounds like they had poorly updated records. This is not a crime. And if you want to sue the feds over the accidental release of that information you are welcome to try, but it might cost you more for the attorney than the amount of any damage.

But, once again, before you start assuming this is the result of a criminal act or an action giving rise to a civil action, have the bank and the credit agency look into the matter. Very often these things are just reported incorrectly.

- Carl

carofl93

Thank you for the reply, Carl. I'm waiting for Monday to come, so I can get into more contact with the bank. I did order reports from all 3 major credit reporting agencies, and it's on all 3. I'm hoping that it's a mistake on someone's part...maybe a transposed number within my social. Once I hear from the credit reporting agencies and from the bank itself, I will feel better. Just a scary thought, but on a good note, it didn't stop me from getting/keeping my job so at least the loan is in good standing.

Carol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">