• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

identity theft rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xiomaraxxxx

south carolina

Where are the victims rights? I am a victim for the last year of identity theft and i am tired of defending my name from the collection agencies. I dont even own a checking account and i am aware of the notarized statements and police reports etc. But on some of the checks they either have my middle name shown first or either my entire name is spelled incorrectly on the check. None of the checks have my true dl number and the address isnt mine. Legally i shouldnt have to defend a name that isnt mine just because its close to mine. My name is Neysa Passi....they have spelled it xiomara neyssa passi, neyssa t passi, neysa apssi etc.....so if i tell the collection agencies this time and time again at what point does that become harrassment? if that name is not mine then to me they cant send me to jail for a name and dl number that really isnt mine. so if i tell them to quit sending me the bills and they continue to do so, can they be sued? i feel they should be able to. they expect you to send police reports and notarized statements everytime they get a check and at this point, im tired...one should be enough especially if the actual name on the check isnt even spelled correctly. im ready to sue now because its ridiculous. and like i said none of the info on the check is mine besides my name. i would be willing to keep defending it and getting the statements etc if my true name were typed on the check and my true dl# was on it and address. am i correct? and take into account ive been doing this about a year now, sending notarized statements and actually accepting the checks that dont have my name spelled correctly....as mine.

sagito327

I am sorry to hear that you have been being harassed for something that was not your own doing. Even sadder are the current laws respective to identity theft. You should have your bank records and whatnot and be able to get an attorney to sue someone. Problem is, you have to know who to sue. You can't sue the collection companies for assuming that someone did something under your identity. For a civil case you would have to know who has been profiting off your good name. In most states, however, you can send a letter asking specifically that the company in question write you no longer, and they are obliged to comply. They CAN, however, continue corresponding by mail. That being said, your credit is probably shot at this point and you should get a lawyer to represent you. It would save you money in the long run.

Sagito

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">