• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ignorance of the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

perklee

I am writing a research paper on the ethical issue of forwarding a chain letter via email. Continuing schemes such as these is illegal, but is the person who sent it on still liable if they didn't know if forwarding the letter was illegal? Sometimes a letter can claim to have been declared legal by the U.S. Postal Service. If the receiver was told it was legit, is he still liable? Lastly, can you point me to a document from which I can quote?

T

Tracey

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse." This quote goes back to Henry VIII and the first courts & is so firmly entrenched in our system of jurisprudence that we aren't even told who first said it. We just learn it. It also doesn't matter if some guy tells you it's legal. You can only rely on the published laws & cases & opinions of government officials empowered to tell you the law (IRS opinion letters). Good luck on the paper.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">