• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL - verbal assualt/dog attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

awesome514

Illinois:

I was attacked by a pit bull at an acquaintance's home in Cook County, IL 8 days ago. The owner of the dog said that if I went to the cops he would kill me and throw me in the river behind his house. Owner was recently in jail, and is a known gang member. I filed a complaint with the local police, but the statement was taken while I was in the hospital sedated. I did not sign the complaint, and the officer took that to court. The judge threw it out because there was not enough information. At the time, my witnesses had not made their statements, and when they tried a few days later, the police dept. told them case was closed. How do I proceed? The police department told me, bluntly, to stop contacting them. There will be no lawsuit because the owner of the dog is a renter who does not have insurance. No injury lawyer will take the case. Also, the dog has disappeared, and we can't get rabies records. Please advise.

You Are Guilty

What is it exactly that you want? Money? A sympathy card? To adopt the dog?

And you might also want to re-think your spending any time in the home of ex-con "acquaintances" in the future.

A

awesome514

Youareguilty - Thank you for your intelligent and informed response to my posting. I am looking for advice on how to get some justice. This guy is walking around freely while I am stuck at home with one working hand. I would like the police to do their jobs and protect other citizens from malicious dogs. Also, I have medical bills that should be paid by the dog owner. The reason for me to be at that house is of no consequence, but I am not friends with the owner of the pit bull. I need to know what my rights are here, and whether or not I have cause to file a complaint against the police department. Only EDUCATED responses, please.

CdwJava

awesome514 said:
Youareguilty - Thank you for your intelligent and informed response to my posting. I am looking for advice on how to get some justice. This guy is walking around freely while I am stuck at home with one working hand. I would like the police to do their jobs and protect other citizens from malicious dogs. Also, I have medical bills that should be paid by the dog owner. The reason for me to be at that house is of no consequence, but I am not friends with the owner of the pit bull. I need to know what my rights are here, and whether or not I have cause to file a complaint against the police department. Only EDUCATED responses, please.
I beg to differ - the reason you were at the house IS of consequence. It also gives me a clue as to why the police dropped the matter so quickly. The location is probably a hang-out for nefarious types anyway. It could be that they figure that anyone who hangs there deserves what they get. No, it ain't right, but sometimes it happens.

I can't imagine if they felt there was anything criminal here that they would just blow it off so completely unless there just isn't enough for a judge. They went to a judge and he thought there was too little. It could be that there is not enough to prove a case.

And the police are not required to do anything about your case. So you have no cause for action against them. You may always sue the owner of the dog if you want some kind of justice ... yes, that will cost money - and I know you have already indicated that he has none so no attorney will take the case. But, hassling the cops about it ain't gonna get them to look at it any further ... even if they can.

Your other option is to talk with the DA's office - find out what they have to say about it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">