• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Illegal to ask for a reward?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GTLEA0CRK

Question?
If someone knows information about a crime comitted, the crime involves funds/property stolen. Neither the company nor the authorities know this crime has been committed. Is it illegal for the knowledgeable party to approach the company and say:

"i would like to be offered a reward, if the information i give you, leads you to criminal activity. But i will not tell if there is no reward offered."

If so, what crime has been committed? If not, what law/case can protect them? Would this matter if it is a federal or state crime committed? I know that in some states, you dont have to report crimes, and is not illegal to not do so. Does this apply to federal crimes too? Does anyone know where i can find information on any of these topics? Does this fall into the category of blackmail? If it is blackmail, isnt this how some plea bargains are made?
Please Help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTLEA0CRK:
Question?
If someone knows information about a crime comitted, the crime involves funds/property stolen. Neither the company nor the authorities know this crime has been committed. Is it illegal for the knowledgeable party to approach the company and say:

"i would like to be offered a reward, if the information i give you, leads you to criminal activity. But i will not tell if there is no reward offered."

If so, what crime has been committed? If not, what law/case can protect them? Would this matter if it is a federal or state crime committed? I know that in some states, you dont have to report crimes, and is not illegal to not do so. Does this apply to federal crimes too? Does anyone know where i can find information on any of these topics? Does this fall into the category of blackmail? If it is blackmail, isnt this how some plea bargains are made?
Please Help!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Isn't greed wonderful!! You see, it's the "greed" that's making you think of all the legal "wrongs" you could be making in this matter. That's what "greed" does to a person. Why don't you just help to set things straight, and at least write an anonymous letter? You'll feel better.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

G

GTLEA0CRK

LOL, but id like to know whether this person is blackmailing me! What if they phrased it:

"Do you offer rewards to people, if they turned someone in?"

LAARs as much as i agree with you, the people who pass the laws are filled with greed, and in a capitalist society, greed wins. (whatch the movie "WallStreet" w/ Micheal Douglas he makes a wonderful speech about greed) So what can you expect?? Please let me know more on the "reward" matter, if you know the answer.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">