• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal to be bad employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klendy

What is the name of your state? MT

I was a bookkeeper. I was responsible for writing off bad debts.
I wrote off debts without authorization.My old employer is now charging me with a crime for doing so. I gained nothing for these actions and admit it was wrong. I really had no idea that it was illegal. What do I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

klendy said:
What is the name of your state? MT

I was a bookkeeper. I was responsible for writing off bad debts.
I wrote off debts without authorization.My old employer is now charging me with a crime for doing so. I gained nothing for these actions and admit it was wrong. I really had no idea that it was illegal. What do I do?

My response:

Your post makes no sense.

You said, "I was responsible for writing off bad debts." Then, in the next breath you said, "I wrote off debts without authorization."

How does one have a "responsibility" to do something for which they have received no "authorization"?

IAAL

K

klendy

bad employee?

I was the one that made the entries but with spoken authorization from our general manager.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: bad employee?

klendy said:
I was the one that made the entries but with spoken authorization from our general manager.

My response:

. . . and for some unknown reason, you decided that it wasn't a good idea to place this "fact" in your initial post? Additionally, if you thought that saying "[you had] spoken authorization from our general manager" has clarified anything, you're wrong. It only makes a confusing post even more confusing. The reason I say this is because you said, in your initial post, "I wrote off debts without authorization." Either you did this WITH authorization, or you did it WITHOUT authorization. Which is it?

Look, we're not mindreaders.

Either give us all the "facts" in one post, or don't ask for assistance. We're not going to play "20 Questions" with you - - we just don't have that kind of time.

So, please, don't waste our time. Tell us everything you know.

IAAL

Last edited:
K

klendy

bad employee?

I wrote off accounts receivable bad debts without authorization.
I could not get the customers to pay the bills and I wrote them off. I continued to try to get payment from them and would credit the account that was debited for the write off. They showed me an amount of 50K. That does not include any credited that they cannot seem to find. The credits are posted correctly.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: bad employee?

klendy said:
I wrote off accounts receivable bad debts without authorization.
I could not get the customers to pay the bills and I wrote them off. I continued to try to get payment from them and would credit the account that was debited for the write off. They showed me an amount of 50K. That does not include any credited that they cannot seem to find. The credits are posted correctly.

My response:

I give up.

Thanks for writing anyway.

IAAL

K

klendy

give up?

I am a simple person. I am simply asking for advice on something that I do not know anything about. You give up? You throw an attitude about wasting your time and then give up? I am sorry for knowing the formalities with this website but I deserve more than that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: give up?

klendy said:
I am a simple person.

=====================================

My response:

You ain't just whistling "Dixie" with that truism!

Look, either you're not reading my responses to you, or you're unable to understand them. It doesn't matter at this point.

Go have a consultation with a local attorney. That way, you can be as vague, ambiguous, and unintelligible as you want - - in-person.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal to be a "bad" employee, in the generic sense.

However, it may be illegal for you to take it upon yourself to write off a debt to your employer without authorization. I can't make out specifically what you were doing either, but if you were deciding what debts to pursue and which to write off, and you didn't have the authorization to write them off, you were depriving the employer of his justly owed money.

Speak to a local attorney.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbg said:
It is not illegal to be a "bad" employee, in the generic sense.

However, it may be illegal for you to take it upon yourself to write off a debt to your employer without authorization. I can't make out specifically what you were doing either, but if you were deciding what debts to pursue and which to write off, and you didn't have the authorization to write them off, you were depriving the employer of his justly owed money.

Speak to a local attorney.

My response:

And therein lies the problem. Did she, or did she not, have "authorization". At one point she says she didn't, and then at another point she said she did have authorization; i.e., "I was the one that made the entries but with spoken authorization from our general manager."

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Understood. That's why I'm not trying to tell her that what they're doing is or is not correct: I can't make heads or tails out of the specifics but figured I could give her some general guidelines.

How you been doin', ole pal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cbg said:
Understood. That's why I'm not trying to tell her that what they're doing is or is not correct: I can't make heads or tails out of the specifics but figured I could give her some general guidelines.

How you been doin', ole pal?

=====================================

My response:

I've been doing just fine. Thanks for asking. And, how are you, my little pudding cup?

I'll be off the Boards for a little while. I have to go write off some ledger entries to delete everyone's Christmas bonuses.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, I'm just peachy keen. Busy as heck, but then, what's new. Have a good holiday, and when you've deleted all those bonuses, c'mon back and chat.

pele

Bah Humbug

Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grind- stone, Scrooge! a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster. The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, shriveled his cheek, stiffened his gait; made his eyes red, his thin lips blue and spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice. A frosty rime was on his head, and on his eyebrows, and his wiry chin. He carried his own low temperature always about with him; he iced his office in the dogdays; and didn't thaw it one degree at Christmas.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">