• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to carry a pocket knife in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Juche

What is the name of your state? Indiana, confusion, overdone pun, take your pick.

Can I put a knife in my pocket in Indiana or is that a crime? Is there a blade length limit (I haven't been able to find one and i've heard there isn't one). Are there limitations on the kind of knife, does it have to be a 'utility knife' like a swiss army knife or can it be any kind of knife?

What about in a national park when I go camping, can I carry a knife in my pocket there?

Curt581

Juche said:
Can I put a knife in my pocket in Indiana or is that a crime? Is there a blade length limit (I haven't been able to find one and i've heard there isn't one).
Most places say a three inch folding pocket knife is okay. Airlines say fingernail clippers are lethal.

The rule of thumb is what you say if a cop asks you why you're carrying it. If you say, "Protection", then it's carried as a weapon, and you'd be arrested.

If you've got a two inch Swiss Army, and when asked say, "It's just a tool I use at work", you'll probably get an "okay, no problem".

I wouldn't try that with a four inch Buck Folding Hunter.
Are there limitations on the kind of knife, does it have to be a 'utility knife' like a swiss army knife or can it be any kind of knife?
No... utility type box cutters can be deadly. It depends on why you have it. If you have a job that doesn't require opening boxes, what do you need it for?

HomeGuru

Juche said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana, confusion, overdone pun, take your pick.

Can I put a knife in my pocket in Indiana or is that a crime? Is there a blade length limit (I haven't been able to find one and i've heard there isn't one). Are there limitations on the kind of knife, does it have to be a 'utility knife' like a swiss army knife or can it be any kind of knife?

What about in a national park when I go camping, can I carry a knife in my pocket there?

**A: why are you asking and are you a convicted criminal?

Juche

HomeGuru said:
**A: why are you asking and are you a convicted criminal?
No i'm not. I'm going on an extended camping trip soon and will need a swiss army knife and maybe a regular pocketknife with me for the trip. Since I would carry them in my pocket and I would be in a national forest I'd rather know if its illegal to do so or not.

protection

don't say protection as they might have reasonable grounds to do a search. instead say personal possessions. you should be alright carring it in your pocket as long as you don't comit any crimes that would give them a reason to search you to begin with or nobody goes to them and tells them you will be carrying a knife on that trip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">