• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Check - Question on options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zero divide

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I wrote a check in January of 2003 and have just received notice from the States Attourney that I have been reported as passing an Illeagal Check and either I pay some $200 and go to a check writing class or I go to court and possible jail.

The check is for $15.09 to the local supermarket.

I don't ever recall getting any messages from them and my bank is trying to locate the check. Their records only go back to June of this year as the rest is archived. That suprised me too but they are looking.

So what I want to know is:
A.) Should I pay the fines, go to the class and get on with my life. In doing so I get no record, no other negative aspects.

B.) Go to court and try to explain that it was a mistake, once I verify that it was my fault, and it has not happened before or since and won't happen again. Like traffic court or that sort of thing. I worry about this option as I know this is a very different court than the one for a speeding ticket.

Thanks,
Kyle

JETX

Pay the amount and avoid the legal battle, which you would probably lose. "it was a mistake" is NOT a defense, especially considering that the merchant very likely sent you a demand letter which you (apparently) ignored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">