• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal consumption of alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

13randon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mn

About a month ago, i was at a party, i grabbed a cold one out of the fridge and poured half into a couple of cups and we each drank the half cup of beer which is about 8 ounces because it was a 16oz. beer, it got loud and people were being too rowdy so me and a friend went outside and walked about 3/4 of a mile down the road to a marina and sat on the dock for about 15-20 minutes, we walked back and a car drove by and whipped a u-e and pulled over to us, it was an unmarked cop car, he got out and told us to stop right where we were( is that legal?), he came up to us and smelled our breath(is that legal?), he asked if we were at the party down the road and told us that he smelled alcohol on our breath(which is unlikely because we each took a dip of chew and threw in a peice of gum after we drank the beer), he then called another cop in to give us breathalyzers in which both of us blew around .0015 , we talked to the cop and we asked him if theres any way he can let us go because we were takin off to college the next week and we barely blew anything and we werent intending on getting drunk,(he said he would talk to the county attorney,which is bs because he never did),

so i have court next monday and i am wondering if there is any way the cop did anything wrong or if the judge might drop it due to the situation and because she has more important things to do(i am going because the fine is 200$ which i could pay but dont agree with so am going to try fight it)

seniorjudge

Q: he got out and told us to stop right where we were( is that legal?), he came up to us and smelled our breath(is that legal?)

A: Yes and yes.

(Hint: Chew and gum do not cover up alcohol breath.)

xylene

since you basically admited the violation, you are sunk.

Next time, be non-cooperative and refuse the breath test too.

xylene

What breath test? :confused:
he then called another cop in to give us breathalyzers in which both of us blew around .0015
That is the breath test they should have refused.

we talked to the cop and we asked him if theres any way he can let us go because we were takin off to college the next week and we barely blew anything and we werent intending on getting drunk
And that's the admission they should not have made.

13randon

and btw, there were 5 cops there(pretty much all on duty in the county) waiting for a search warrant for 3 hours to get into this minor party(which turned out with giving away 3 minor consumption tickets) if you ask me, i think these cops are lazy as "crap" and could be patrolling the roads for dui's(who actually could harm innocent peoples lives) instead of getting kids on petty "things"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">