• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Employee Hit and Run (Evade)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We hired a new employee few months back. He started the job at 6 PM and at 10 PM he took the company car without informing the owners and rammed the car in to some one else's garage. The employee has run away from the scene. We went back and told the cops that this guy belongs to us, however isn't supposed to be taking the car. We also told the cops that these guys just came in that day and we are still in the process of checking these guys out for their documentation etc. Just to be honest, we don't even know the guys full name /(last name). We only have his first name and we gave that information to the cops right away along with the phone numbers. The cops have to give the summon on someone else's name, so they issued the summon on the owner. The judge understood that we didn't do any thing wrong and gave us a nolle (so the case will be open for 13 months and closed).

However we came to know that these guys are illegal and don't have proper documentation (the cops have confiscated their passport, as these guys started just day they left their baggage in the company guest house and the cops got the passports after we told them that their luggage is still at the apartment).

What will happen to us as the owners of the place if these guys are caught. We have not fully hired them yet, he has just started that day. normally we test the people for a week and then add them to payroll after completing the background checks. Are we in any trouble?

We are ready to take care of the garage repair expenses and told the owners of the property the same.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are supposed to have all the documentation in place BEFORE they begin working. Admitting to having them work for a week prior to doing things right won't help. I would suggest you modify your employment policies.

shaik

You are supposed to have all the documentation in place BEFORE they begin working. Admitting to having them work for a week prior to doing things right won't help. I would suggest you modify your employment policies.
yes, we are changing them as we speak. however I would like to know what would happen for the past issue? would there be any penalties and any jail time?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will not be arrested or serve any time in jail, but you very well may be fined. Not for any damage to property, but for hiring an illegal.

shaik

You will not be arrested or serve any time in jail, but you very well may be fined. Not for any damage to property, but for hiring an illegal.
this person didn't even really start. he was at work for only 4 hours.. and we have recorded proof of it.. like the tickets they used to come over etc.. will there be still fines associated? and in what amounts? so, there won't be any jail time related to this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. There will not be any jail time associated with this. I don't know how to make it any more clear than that.

If it will make you feel better you can talk to an employment attorney, but this is not a big deal. There is no guarantee that you WILL be fined. IF you are fined, it will not be a massive amount. You'd probably pay as much in attorney fees.

shaik

No. There will not be any jail time associated with this. I don't know how to make it any more clear than that.

If it will make you feel better you can talk to an employment attorney, but this is not a big deal. There is no guarantee that you WILL be fined. IF you are fined, it will not be a massive amount. You'd probably pay as much in attorney fees.
Thanks. Hopefully it will be a safe ending for me and my partners.

dave33

this person didn't even really start. he was at work for only 4 hours.. and we have recorded proof of it.. like the tickets they used to come over etc.. will there be still fines associated? and in what amounts? so, there won't be any jail time related to this?
Come on now, You are not making sense, if questioned by anyone do not try and talk your way out. All you have recorded proof of is you hiring an illegal. Maybe you should keep your "proof" to yourself. goodluck.

OHRoadwarrior

As it was in fact your companies car AND companies employee, you are liable for the damage caused. Do you actually want to further your issues by reporting yourself for several Federal law violations also?

Eekamouse

What is this stuff about them "not fully hired them" yet? They were in your company vehicle while on the clock. How did they get the keys??

shaik

Our car keys are placed right next to register, unfortunately everyone has access to... We are already given a summon as the car belong to us

Eekamouse

How could you be checking them out for their documentation if you didn't even know their full name? The story you're telling doesn't sound right at all to me. What sort of business are you running?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">