• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to order/approve a fake ID?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briankoh91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I originally wanted a fake ID from the internet, but than conscious my spoke. When I received my fake ID, I told the seller I would destroy it and would not pay him. It is no longer in existence and I have never used it in any way.

He sent me this, threatening to pay him.
"I have looked up your local police department and I will be sending them an anonymous e-mail detailing your conversation of ordering and approving of false documents, your scanned proof of the false ID, as well as your home address. In case you didn't know this, it is a class 5 felony, and with enough evidence, it can put you behind bars for some time."

Is it true that it is illegal to order and approve of false documents? I live in Fulton County in Georgia.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What do you mean "approve of"?

Yes, possession of false identification is a crime. But two wrongs don't make a right. You can't buy something then decide to destroy it and not pay for it.

CdwJava

The local police are not going to be able to act upon an anonymous email with scanned documents that could mean anything. The anonymous email and a scanned document that is without foundation is not going to even get the cops a search warrant. He is almost certainly bluffing because the only way he could hope to charge you with a crime would be for him to admit to manufacturing the false ID.

BOR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I originally wanted a fake ID from the internet, but than conscious my spoke. When I received my fake ID, I told the seller I would destroy it and would not pay him. It is no longer in existence and I have never used it in any way.
In criminal law, this is known as Renunciation. In other words, you renounced your state of mind to complete the crime.

This was wise. IF any charge is forthcoming you can assert this as a defense, morally and legally.

He sent me this, threatening to pay him.
"I have looked up your local police department and I will be sending them an anonymous e-mail detailing your conversation of ordering and approving of false documents, your scanned proof of the false ID, as well as your home address. In case you didn't know this, it is a class 5 felony, and with enough evidence, it can put you behind bars for some time."

Is it true that it is illegal to order and approve of false documents? I live in Fulton County in Georgia.
As Carl has pointed out, to implicate you, he implicates himself.

If he KNEW the documents were false and made them, that is conspiracy, aiding and abetting, or whatever incohate statute addresses it.

cyjeff

Of course, that assumes that the seller was within a jurisdiction that has such laws.

If it was from Estonia or something, the water gets muddy.

tranquility

While I think utterance rather than possession of a "false" identification a crime, I'm pretty certain most courts will not enforce a contract which is against public policy.

One can call oneself what they will. Age and whatnot are not really expressed until one asserts such.

If a person has a "false" ID, with nothing more, not only do I think there is no crime, but also I think that no prosecutor or cop will care.

justalayman

If a person has a "false" ID, with nothing more, not only do I think there is no crime, but also I think that no prosecutor or cop will care.
depends what type of ID it is. If it is a fake official state or federal document, possession alone is a crime in any state I have reviewed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">