• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for a physician assistant to use the term "dr." ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

PA and NJ.
There is a familiy member who recently passed her Physician Assistant certification. Her mother is now telling people she's a Dr. (and uses specfic titles like Dermatologist and surgeon). While I understand parental proudness, I'm hoping this family member (actual P.A.) doesn't get in trouble for her mom adding medical years to her training. Is is illegal to tell people that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PA and NJ.
There is a familiy member who recently passed her Physician Assistant certification. Her mother is now telling people she's a Dr. (and uses specfic titles like Dermatologist and surgeon). While I understand parental proudness, I'm hoping this family member (actual P.A.) doesn't get in trouble for her mom adding medical years to her training. Is is illegal to tell people that?
The PA isn't claiming to be a doctor...mom's just wrong, but that has nothing to do with the PA.

xylene

PA and NJ.
Unless her mom is somehow actually involved in advertising her as a bona fide doctor...

What you need to do is tell this PA family member and ask her to correct her mother's exaggerations.

justalayman

You have doctors that are MD's (DO, DPM, ) and such that are allowed to practice medicine (after licensing by the germane state) and you have doctor's that have a PhD, JD, and many other doctoral degrees that are non-medical in nature. Both can be considered to be "doctors" although the medical "doctors" at the folks that get to practice medicine.

A PA has neither and as such would not properly be called a doctor.

If the term is used by the practitioner in a manner that would suggest that they are able to practice medicine, the state licensing entity would likely have a problem with it. It also is false representation to the patient and could incur legal issues.

Since it is the mother making the statements, there is nothing illegal about it even if it is not actually true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">