• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to process/consume meat from "companion animals"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shadowfangns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I would like an actual serious answer to this question instead of an answer based on emotion and non logic.

Is it illegal to slaughter and consume meat that came from a dog, cat or horse?...or maybe even other domesticated animals such as rats, lizards, chinchillas and ferrets?

Assuming the meat wasn't being sold and you raised the animal for consumption yourself, and assuming that the animal wasn't made to suffer.

Also if there is a law against such a thing, does it vary by state or federal level?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I would like an actual serious answer to this question instead of an answer based on emotion and non logic.

Is it illegal to slaughter and consume meat that came from a dog, cat or horse?...or maybe even other domesticated animals such as rats, lizards, chinchillas and ferrets?

Assuming the meat wasn't being sold and you raised the animal for consumption yourself, and assuming that the animal wasn't made to suffer.

Also if there is a law against such a thing, does it vary by state or federal level?
You'll have to start with your local municipality and work your way up.

FlyingRon

I don't think Chinchillas make too good eating, but my sister-in-law used to raise them in their basement for their pelts. Hopefully you know what you are doing with preparing cats, some of the internal organs are quite toxic.

There is specific Illinois law against slaughtering horses and other equidae for human consumption. It matters not if it is going to be for sale or personal use.

Don't think there's much other restriction in state law except for the requirement that it be done "humanely"

The issue you speak of isn't so much a matter of legality or morality, but likely more an issue of health and safety.

Each species you cite is not evaluated or inspected as re health standards. And if the USDA prefer not to get involved and begin inspecting such animals for consumption, it's likely not going to happen.

It could be, depending upon the situation, Federal or state. You'd need to research the Dept of Agriculture (those who would be most likely to have pursued such a law) archives.

I know that several states have laws against the consumption of pets or companion animals: New York, California, and Virginia, to name a few. Others may not specifically have laws against eating them, but rather "unnecessarily killing" them.

At the very least, I'd think that not only would you be subject to censure by your neighbors, but possibly legal censure by various animal rights groups. Animal cruelty laws, while often without sharp teeth, CAN bite. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">