• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

S. De Los Reyes

What is the name of your state? california
i have a very close friend that is presently going to court on a criminal case. she has an attorney that is not representing her to her fullest ability. the female attorney was court appointed and she hasn't followed through on items that are needed for her defense. she didn't show up in court on monday and didn't notify my friend that she wouldn't be there. she has told my friend that she might as well take the 5 years the d.a. is offering. yet she now has been approached for a 16 month sentence. her witnesses haven't been contacted. the one witness that is willing to come to court and testify that she was told by another party that he set her up. her attorney said that she would contact the witness as to when the case would be starting as of last night the witness hadn't been called. we called the witness. yesterday there was a confusion and her attorney didn't call her to notify her that her bail had been revoked and a bench warrant was issued. luckily the bail bonds man called her and said that he would reinstate the $100,000.00 bail today. how do we go about filing against this attorney if my friend should lose but most importantly who do we report her lack of service to?

racer72

As they say, you get what you pay for. The court appointed attorney is only there to provide minimal legal representation as required by law. The accused has 3 options. 1. Hire her own attorney that would most likely work for her. 2. Ask the court for another CAA, this would most likely be denied. 3. Go through with a trial and if convicted, ask for a retrial based on poor legal representation. Again, not likely to happen.

D

deweydecimal

yes that is correct why should a lawyer work hard for $40 an hour as a court appointed lawyer, Especially if your friend is guilty as helll and has no decent chance of winning?

I know Plenty of lawyers who would kick azzzz if she was not guilty even for the $40 an hour.

YOUR mistake and hers was not working WITH the lawyer to better her case. Any case filed is a public document so she could have done LOTS of legwork in getting the affidavits, copies mailings all sorts of stuff to help her own case, but she sat on her azzzz and let someone else do it. For example if the witness didnt have a car, did she drive the witness to the lawyers office for a statement?

And filing of papers with the court or to the DA or on anybody, YOU could have served the papers and signed an affidavit to that, she cant serve papers since she is a party to the action, so if she had a car she could have driven you, the lawyer is paid by the courts and not in a very timely fashoin either...

Does your friend know how to read? or where a law library is? can she use a telephone and the blue pages in the phone book?

$100,000 bail is a very very very serious amount of money so the charge must be very very serious as well.

Maybe if she apoligized to the lawyer, and asked what she can do to help her case, you might have a happier lawyer.

Last edited:
S

S. De Los Reyes

illlegal representation reply from deweydecimal

first of all we are all entitled to our opinion. as you are to yours. i do not appreciate your negative overtones to every reply i have read of yours. i was asking a question for information. for your information we have done the leg work, used the phone, made copies, her bail was 1 million. she has just gotten out on bail in the last 3 weeks. your assumption that she is guilty is just like the person she is dealing with. you point a finger so quickly. i am not saying by any means that she is perfect but in this case she was set up by her ex. he has admitted to others that he did this and he was drunk. so please if there is any legitimate information as to where do we start because no matter what the outcome and no matter the fee this attorney may be entitiled to or actually paid. she has no right to blatently and consciously not fight for justice. lucky for us justice is blind and all of our rights are to be balanced. we are given the right to be judged by our peers and stand in front of our accuser. her ex was going to talk to her attorney and tell her the truth, the attorney didn't want to talk to him. he of course wont come into court and incriminate himself but at least she might fight for her harder. why would she supenoa him and not her witnesses that are on her side. he has no intentions of showing up and there has been no motions to ask for a dismissal due to no witnesses for the state. mr. deweydecimal how much time behind bars have you done and for what? or maybe you are a disbarred attorney because you seem to be awfully one sided in all of your replys. thank you for your sarcasm but please don't waste our time when all we are seeking is knowledge not your approval.

Last edited:
N

Nismoz32

Nice post

Nice post I wish someone would post on mine I am a lil stuck and I am running out of time!!!

D

deweydecimal

The attorney is correct she HAD to refuse to talk to him without HIS lawyer present!

Then maybe this could get resolved, so scape up money to get the ex a lawyer.

K

kcdogg

Re: illlegal representation reply from deweydecimal

S. De Los Reyes said:
first of all we are all entitled to our opinion. as you are to yours. i do not appreciate your negative overtones to every reply i have read of yours. i was asking a question for information. for your information we have done the leg work, used the phone, made copies, her bail was 1 million. she has just gotten out on bail in the last 3 weeks. your assumption that she is guilty is just like the person she is dealing with. you point a finger so quickly. i am not saying by any means that she is perfect but in this case she was set up by her ex. he has admitted to others that he did this and he was drunk. so please if there is any legitimate information as to where do we start because no matter what the outcome and no matter the fee this attorney may be entitiled to or actually paid. she has no right to blatently and consciously not fight for justice. lucky for us justice is blind and all of our rights are to be balanced. we are given the right to be judged by our peers and stand in front of our accuser. her ex was going to talk to her attorney and tell her the truth, the attorney didn't want to talk to him. he of course wont come into court and incriminate himself but at least she might fight for her harder. why would she supenoa him and not her witnesses that are on her side. he has no intentions of showing up and there has been no motions to ask for a dismissal due to no witnesses for the state. mr. deweydecimal how much time behind bars have you done and for what? or maybe you are a disbarred attorney because you seem to be awfully one sided in all of your replys. thank you for your sarcasm but please don't waste our time when all we are seeking is knowledge not your approval.

Now that was worth reposting! Dewy is probably a public defender him or herself and 40 per hour would be overpaying him or her!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">