• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal when people lie about committing crimes on the net to get legal advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harmonica

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California.

I've read some of the the threads on here and there are a lot where users will admit openly on the internet, that they were accused of a major felonies and capital crimes, asking for advice on here. I wonder if some of these stories are just made up though. What are the laws when it comes to lying about committing a felony on the internet just to get legal advice? Or are

Last edited:

racer72

You can say anything you want on the internet. Here in the US we that this thing called the 1st Amendment. We get trolls to this site but they are easy to pick out.

codyII

Are you fo real?

Do you think that the courts should be filled up with:

Prosecutor: Mr Smith, on the 3rd of March, 2010, under the guise of 'wizeazz666', did you not post a thread on freeadvice.com claiming, and I quote, "I ran the President's dog over, am I going to prison?", did you not Mr Smith??? And were these not LIES Mr Smith??? (Fluffy) is in fact perfectly safe, is (he/she) not Mr Smith?? (I forget the particulars of the Presidential dog)

It's an internet forum, Harmonica, there's no service provided that can be fraudulently abused (if that's what you were trying to get at)....

Antigone*

Are you fo real?

Do you think that the courts should be filled up with:

Prosecutor: Mr Smith, on the 3rd of March, 2010, under the guise of 'wizeazz666', did you not post a thread on freeadvice.com claiming, and I quote, "I ran the President's dog over, am I going to prison?", did you not Mr Smith??? And were these not LIES Mr Smith??? (Fluffy) is in fact perfectly safe, is (he/she) not Mr Smith?? (I forget the particulars of the Presidential dog)

It's an internet forum, Harmonica, there's no service provided that can be fraudulently abused (if that's what you were trying to get at)....
What makes you think they are?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
(Choking back hysterical laughter and doing her best not to fall on the floor laughing) No, Harmonica, it is not illegal when people lie about committing crimes on the net to get legal advice.

If they actually do lie, which seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Okay?

tranquility

Quick question, let's say....a friend accidentally dropped a hand grenade down a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mex..in the Great Lakes. Before accidentally dropping the grenade I, I mean my friend, also accidentally pulled the pin and accidentally turned on the drill causing, uh, damage.

The police are calling me every day. Can I just ignore them?

Also, can they search the militia house where I store all the grenades if we only let children stay inside?

codyII

Quick question, let's say....a friend accidentally dropped a hand grenade down a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mex..in the Great Lakes. Before accidentally dropping the grenade I, I mean my friend, also accidentally pulled the pin and accidentally turned on the drill causing, uh, damage.

The police are calling me every day. Can I just ignore them?

Also, can they search the militia house where I store all the grenades if we only let children stay inside?
A) What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ???????

and

2) How about you start your own thread buddy, it's not really the done thing to hijack other threads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">