• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a Possible Sex Offender? But Please Hear me out and Give Advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RemainingAnon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello folks. So as the title says I'm currently in some s*** right now. But please hear my story, then my side, and then tell me what I'm facing.

So first off, there was this app called hot or not. It is a newer app used for meeting new adults, specifically ones of the same age group and opposite gender. I am 18. I met a girl, who lives relatively local, and started talking to her (actually she messaged me first, but that's besides the fact). We moved the conversation to an app called snapchat, where you send pictures to each other and the opposite person can only view them for a few seconds. We sort of "sexted", but I am almost positive I never exactly stated "we are going to have intercourse" or anything like that. More like "babe you're sexy, I want to hang out". Anyways I told her she should come over sometime, and asked her for her number. When I texted her, I asked her if she still planned on coming over tomorrow. Her other brother texted me from her phone, saying that she is only 16 and that I'm a pedophile. He then went on to say, try explaining this to the cops. Now I'm really scared.

Now, here is the little details. I had never asked her what her name was, and she had never stated she was 16. If I knew she was so young, I would have never invited her to my place. I believe the law is that I have to know her age for sure, or it is illegal. However, hot or not, the app I met her on, is an 18+ only app that requires you to state legally that you are 18 before you download it. That being said, I thought that she was at least 18, since it is an adult app.

So do you think I can get in trouble? I truly didn't know, and I don't know if the cops are going to get involved. But how well will my arguement hold up in court? Thanks for the advice!

Proserpina

Hello folks. So as the title says I'm currently in some s*** right now. But please hear my story, then my side, and then tell me what I'm facing.

So first off, there was this app called hot or not. It is a newer app used for meeting new adults, specifically ones of the same age group and opposite gender. I am 18. I met a girl, who lives relatively local, and started talking to her (actually she messaged me first, but that's besides the fact). We moved the conversation to an app called snapchat, where you send pictures to each other and the opposite person can only view them for a few seconds. We sort of "sexted", but I am almost positive I never exactly stated "we are going to have intercourse" or anything like that. More like "babe you're sexy, I want to hang out". Anyways I told her she should come over sometime, and asked her for her number. When I texted her, I asked her if she still planned on coming over tomorrow. Her other brother texted me from her phone, saying that she is only 16 and that I'm a pedophile. He then went on to say, try explaining this to the cops. Now I'm really scared.

Now, here is the little details. I had never asked her what her name was, and she had never stated she was 16. If I knew she was so young, I would have never invited her to my place. I believe the law is that I have to know her age for sure, or it is illegal. However, hot or not, the app I met her on, is an 18+ only app that requires you to state legally that you are 18 before you download it. That being said, I thought that she was at least 18, since it is an adult app.

So do you think I can get in trouble? I truly didn't know, and I don't know if the cops are going to get involved. But how well will my arguement hold up in court? Thanks for the advice!

The age of consent is 16.

Sure, you need to stop sexting with folk you don't know so well - but on this one? You should be fine.

Just Blue

Please define the bolded. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">