• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impersonating an officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeneedsmore2

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello. As you all know Halloween is coming up. I want to dress up as a NYPD police officer only in Tennessee and for the Halloween Holiday. The NYPD uniform is full and legit, except for the fake toy gun that is completely colored in blue. I am worried I may get in trouble for this, but at the same time I believe not.

LAW INFO ( ALMOST SAME FOR ALL STATES, BUT AFTER 911, HAVE THINGS CHANGED?

11-304. Impersonating a government officer of employee. No person
other than an official police officer of the city shall wear the uniform, apparel,
or badge, or carry any identification card or other insignia of office like or
similar to, or a colorable imitation of that adopted and worn or carried by the
official police officers of the city. Furthermore, no person shall deceitfully
impersonate or represent that he is any government officer or employee. (1984
Code, § 10-211)

my comment: It seem there are specific about this, they are only taking about impersonating an oficer from the city you actaully live in, this is a NYPD costume, from another city not to mention another state. I will not use it in any decietful way, or to harm anyone, pull pranks, or abuse the costume to do anything malicious. The NYPD costume/unifrom is different from one of tennessee. Your opinion?

BADGE INFO

A new Federal Law (HR 4827, Law #106-547), pertaining to badge possession,
collecting, and use went into effect on 12/19/2000. This law makes the shipping,
possession and use of CURRENT Police badges and Police badge REPLICAS a crime if they are used for any purpose other than the following:
(1) as a memento, or in a collection or exhibit;
(2) for decorative purposes;
(3) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theater, film, or television production; or
(4) for any other recreational purpose.
In our web catalog most badge are affected by this law as long as they are not obsolete or
of defunct or merged agencies.
Please be advised that unless you notify us in writing that you are unwilling to
abide by federal law #106-547, it is presumed by Westend Emblems, and
warranted by you that you will only use your baught law enforcement badge(s) in a manner
that is legally authorized under Federal Law #106-547. Thank you !

my comment:
1- the badge suppose to have 4 digit ( which is ID for officer), but I am going to put 3 digits (911) in remmemberance to those in sept 11. Is the badge now considered a mememto, or/and a decorative item for the costunme?
2- Can I say the badge if for a dramatic presentation fit for day such as halloween? or a recreational purpose such for a fun day such as halloween?

I wore the costume in tennessee before 3 years back, but the patches were not full size, no radio, no nightstick, no real badge, now I have the costume complete and wish to wear it on the haloween holiday. The last time I was out at the club, there were real officer in the club and I was not bothered with my costume. There were other police officers dressed up in costume. Last year the best costume award went to a gay cop with tight short (real tight) and he was walking around with a nightstick. Real cops were around and he was not bothered.

Knowing these circumstances, can I still get in trouble? If I do get aproached, what can I do or say?

Last edited:

pojo2

joeneedsmore2 said:
what can I do or say?
Well I would not use that bull about 9/11 if stopped.

What is the obsession about the costume being real and complete and so authentic?

joeneedsmore2

I am just into detail, and get into the mood when Halloween comes up. Like I mentioned, It's a one day thing, nothing more or less. I don't consider something you do once a year an obssesion, though I do know some that believe Halloween is everyday :) Anyway, I am just trying to get facts, I don't want to get in trouble or cause any, just want to think ahead. For many dress up on Halloween as officers...

Crazed98

Since we are on the topic would a female stripper dressed as a cop get in trouble for impersonating an officer?

Or would the stilettos just give it away?

HomeGuru

Crazed98 said:
Since we are on the topic would a female stripper dressed as a cop get in trouble for impersonating an officer?

Or would the stilettos just give it away?

**A: no, the thong marked SHERIFF would give it away.

darrin97

Unlawful display of indicia or Accourterments of law enforcement -- UNCONSTITUTIONAL

State: FLORIDA

In January 2004, the Florida Supreme court delcared "unconstitutional", a statute (843.085) which was titled "Unlawful display of indicia or accouterments of law enforcement".

They basically wrote this:

"In the absence of a requirement that the offender who wears or displays law enforcement indicia inteds to deceive a reasonable person into believeing that such paraphernalia is authorized or legitimate, there is the potential of penalizing purely innocent, protected conduct. For example, an individual who wears or displays unauthorized law enforcement apparel or indicia merely in observance of Halloween or as an actor in a play or film is in violation of this statute if a reasonable person could be deceived as to its authenticity. Moreover, in the aftermath of the "September 11th" tragedy, it has now become commonplace for many Americans to wear authentic-looking law enforcement t-shirts, caps and other paraphernalia merly out of reverance for the tragedy's heroes. All such persons would nevertheless be in violation of section 843.085 91). We believe that Floridians do enjoy the right to innocently wear or display such paraphernalia under both the Florida and U.S. Constitutions as long as they are not intentionally attempting to pass themselves off as law enforcement officials.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">