• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impersonation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephantics

I live in Nevada, and I noticed that you can search for live/recent tweets on Twitter. This search returns all recent tweets relating to your query, including tweets that are actual messages to other people. I used this to search for all posts containing phrases like "call me", "give me a call", "reach me at" and various queries that would lead to a phone number. Surely enough I found plenty of phone numbers that I intended to prank call while impersonating the person who received the tweet. This lead to a great opportunity when I noticed that some news lady had reached out to the CEO of some company because of their fund-raiser. She is looking for a live interview on the radio with this CEO. I went ahead and called her under the name of this CEO, and she completely believed my charade and now I have a live radio interview scheduled very soon. Obviously I intend to use this opportunity to say something shocking and horrible before I get cut off the air.

I would really like to know, is there anything I have to worry about here? I have seen similar pranks go unpunished such as Captain Janks' legendary news pranks where he impersonates a person the news wanted to interview over the phone. He's done it like 70 times, and his were on TV. People even know who he is, and I still haven't heard of him ever being arrested or sued. What concerns me is whether this CEO guy can sue me for impersonation? I won't be ruining his reputation or anything. Everyone will know it's a prank when I'm done. Would it be a bad idea to include shout outs to my website during the prank call? I figured what better way to get exposure for my pranks than to do some elaborate advertising live on the air. Bad idea? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I live in Nevada, and I noticed that you can search for live/recent tweets on Twitter. This search returns all recent tweets relating to your query, including tweets that are actual messages to other people. I used this to search for all posts containing phrases like "call me", "give me a call", "reach me at" and various queries that would lead to a phone number. Surely enough I found plenty of phone numbers that I intended to prank call while impersonating the person who received the tweet. This lead to a great opportunity when I noticed that some news lady had reached out to the CEO of some company because of their fund-raiser. She is looking for a live interview on the radio with this CEO. I went ahead and called her under the name of this CEO, and she completely believed my charade and now I have a live radio interview scheduled very soon, and it will of course be under the name of this CEO. Obviously I intend to use this opportunity to say something shocking and horrible before I get cut off the air.

I would really like to know, is there anything I have to worry about here? I have seen similar pranks go unpunished such as Captain Janks' legendary news pranks where he impersonates a person the news wanted to interview over the phone. He's done it like 70 times, and his were on TV. People even know who he is, and I still haven't heard of him ever being arrested or sued. What concerns me is whether this CEO guy can sue me for impersonation? I won't be ruining his reputation or anything. Everyone will know it's a prank when I'm done. Would it be a bad idea to include shout outs to my website during the prank call? I figured what better way to get exposure for my pranks than to do some elaborate advertising live on the air. Bad idea? Any help is much appreciated.
You are an idiot. Yes...This is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
When you learn to act like an adult you can come back and ask another question - we don't entertain children here.

quincy

I live in Nevada, and I noticed that you can search for live/recent tweets on Twitter. This search returns all recent tweets relating to your query, including tweets that are actual messages to other people. I used this to search for all posts containing phrases like "call me", "give me a call", "reach me at" and various queries that would lead to a phone number. Surely enough I found plenty of phone numbers that I intended to prank call while impersonating the person who received the tweet. This lead to a great opportunity when I noticed that some news lady had reached out to the CEO of some company because of their fund-raiser. She is looking for a live interview on the radio with this CEO. I went ahead and called her under the name of this CEO, and she completely believed my charade and now I have a live radio interview scheduled very soon, and it will of course be under the name of this CEO. Obviously I intend to use this opportunity to say something shocking and horrible before I get cut off the air.
How very immature of you. And also potentially criminal.

Yes, you have reason to worry for impersonating a CEO and lining up an interview for him with the news.

Similar pranks have gone unpunished but similar pranks have also led to criminal and civil actions being taken against the impersonators. Whether anyone will bother with you is a question mark - but you should know that they can. I don't see that you have much in the way of a defense.

Finally, giving a "shout out" to your website during the prank call seems to be a good way for those pranked to identify and locate you. It does not seem to me to be an especially bright thing to do. But then, it does not seem to me that any part of your plan is especially bright.

I suggest that, if you want to advertise your website (if this is what your plan is all about), you find a legal, perhaps even traditional, way of advertising it.

sephantics

See, I would actually lend credence to the idea of me being an idiot, but it's really hard to give merit to people who are so socially dependent on internet forums that they have racked up literally thousands of posts due to their inability to relate to actual people in real life. If anyone would like to give me advice from a sincere legal perspective, rather than berate me as a transparent outburst of your own insecurity, then please don't let these pompous halfwits deter you from sharing your much appreciated knowledge.

Silverplum

See, I would actually lend credence to the idea of me being an idiot, but it's really hard to give merit to people who are so socially dependent on internet forums that they have racked up literally thousands of posts due to their inability to relate to actual people in real life. If anyone would like to give me advice from a sincere legal perspective, rather than berate me as a transparent outburst of your own insecurity, then please don't let these pompous halfwits deter you from sharing your much appreciated knowledge.
Yay!!!

(Or whatever.)

I'mTheFather

See, I would actually lend credence to the idea of me being an idiot, but it's really hard to give merit to people who are so socially dependent on internet forums that they have racked up literally thousands of posts due to their inability to relate to actual people in real life.
Well, you're the one choosing to engage.

If anyone would like to give me advice from a sincere legal perspective, rather than berate me as a transparent outburst of your own insecurity, then please don't let these pompous halfwits deter you from sharing your much appreciated knowledge.
We're not sincere here.

Proserpina

Child, please.

You're an immature brat. But even worse? You're terrifically boring. That is unforgivable.

Just Blue

You are great! Wicked pissah! I am horrible for saying otherwise. I shall go forth and sin no more.

Happy now Sport? :rolleyes:

sephantics

Child, please.

You're an immature brat. But even worse? You're terrifically boring. That is unforgivable.
It actually kinda blows my mind that someone who calls me an immature child would resort to such a vacuous insult. I'm boring? I'm not putting on a show for you, I'm asking for legal advice. It's embarrassing to read what you consider to be a witty response. What's even worse is how obvious it is that you merely responded out of offense taken from my jab at socially inept people. It's not a coincidence that I berate those who are dependent on forums and the guy with 42,000 posts calls me a child. That's quite a life you lead. Keep growing that post count, we're all rooting for you buddy.

Just Blue

It actually kinda blows my mind that someone who calls me an immature child would resort to such a vacuous insult. I'm boring? I'm not putting on a show for you, I'm asking for legal advice. It's embarrassing to read what you consider to be a witty response. What's even worse is how obvious it is that you merely responded out of offense taken from my jab at socially inept people. It's not a coincidence that I berate those who are dependent on forums and the guy with 42,000 posts calls me a child. That's quite a life you lead. Keep growing that post count, we're all rooting for you buddy.
LOL. This is funny. You are proposing to stalk someone on Social Media and impersonate another person for a "prank". And yet you have the gall to refer to the volunteers here as "socially inept".

Grow up Sport.;)

Proserpina

You're a Browns fan, aren't you?

That explains much.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">