• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impound Troble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuZe

Impound Trouble

What is the name of your state (Ohio)?

Hello,

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate area of the forums, I wasn't sure where it fit.

My mother had a car towed to an Impound Lot (no parking zone). This morning her and my sister drove to the private impound lot out in a small village where they towed it to pay, and pick it up. They were very polite and asked how much they owed. The women at the counter said $400 odd dollars. My mother asked for a list of charges in writing, the women called another lady who came in and acted crazy. My sister explained that they wanted to know what they were being charged for before they payed, the women yelled at the top of her lungs for my sister to get the hell out of the office. My mom stayed and was pretty much verbally assaulted for a few minutes until the owner showed up. Already scared and upset, my teenage sister waiting out in the car sees a man show up with a "large shiny pistol" in his waist band scaring her even more. The man walks in the office and paces back and forth cussing at my mother, tying to intimidate her into paying without knowing what it is she's paying for and according to her, making sure she saw the gun. A police officer pulled up outside and the owner (inside) saw him, pulled the pistol out of his waistband, waves it around, and tells my mother he's going to leave it on the desk since the police had arrived. The man acted like a psycho, my sister was crying outside near the car, and my mom said she was afraid the whole time that the man would shoot her.

After paying the fee My mother, the police officer, and the owner exit the office and head for the impound yard to inspect the car. My sister follows them (on foot), the owner notices and yells "her name isn't on the title shes not going back and then violently charges at my sister. They get back to the car and look it over, my sister decides to call my mom on her cell phone to tell her what to check on the car and the man notices it's her and again throws a fit. Telling my mom and the cop to "get the **** off his property". He then threatens to call the County Sheriff on my mom and the police officer. The police officer settles the owner down, and then my mother is presented with a form to sign saying:

"Receipt is hereby given and acknowledged that on August 4, 2008 XXXXXXX received the above descried vehicle and holds no claims against XXXXX for said vehicle from the time of repossession.

That XXXXXX forever release XXXXX against any and all claims, arising from, including but not limited to, the repossession, transport, or storage of said vehicle while the possessions or control of XXXXXX.

My mom signed the contract writing in (under protest), the police officer told my mom that would set the owner off again. The owner ripped it up and my mom signed another contract without writing (under protest).

Throughout the whole ordeal my mother and sister were both scared for there life's, and the police officers life.

Back at the police station the Mayor and Vice Mayor of the village told my mother and sister that they should press charges, and that the village was currently in a law suit with the business.

Can anyone give me any information on what these animals can be charged with, and what kind of chances we have? We're going to talk to the prosecutor who's working on the case against them for the village tomorrow.

Any information appreciated,
Thank you

Last edited:

Any contract signed under duress is voidable. It is hard to believe the man was acting like that in front of a police officer with no recourse. You exaggerated a little too much in your story.

FuZe

Thanks for the info,

Please know that I have no reason to exaggerated on this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">