• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Criminal Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnaSC

What is the name of your state?South Carolina - As a standard, companies in SC pull or ask for criminal background checks when interviewing for a job. My husband went to pull his records and found out that his was incorrect. In 1996 he pled guilty to charges of Assault of a High and Aggrevated Nature; listed as an unclassified offense - 3 year suspened sentence and 18 months probation. But according to the local sheriffs office he was charged with Criminal Sexual Intent, and according to the prodation office he was charged with Assault with Intent to Kill. It seems that the court records were never transfered to the Sheriffs office or the Probation office, and no one seems to know how this could have happend or how to fix it. We are beginning to realize that this is probably why he was turned down for jobs at some of the higher paying trucking companies over the last few years. We need advice on how to have his criminal record corrected; i.e. what options are available to us to resolve the problem?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

AnnaSC said:
What is the name of your state?South Carolina - As a standard, companies in SC pull or ask for criminal background checks when interviewing for a job. My husband went to pull his records and found out that his was incorrect. In 1996 he pled guilty to charges of Assault of a High and Aggrevated Nature; listed as an unclassified offense - 3 year suspened sentence and 18 months probation. But according to the local sheriffs office he was charged with Criminal Sexual Intent, and according to the prodation office he was charged with Assault with Intent to Kill. It seems that the court records were never transfered to the Sheriffs office or the Probation office, and no one seems to know how this could have happend or how to fix it. We are beginning to realize that this is probably why he was turned down for jobs at some of the higher paying trucking companies over the last few years. We need advice on how to have his criminal record corrected; i.e. what options are available to us to resolve the problem?
The first thing he needs to do is get certified copies of the conviction records from the court where he was convicted.

They are in the archives, the people will say. We cannot get to them, the people will say.

Very nicely, your sweetie should say right back to them, I need those records please. A certified copy of my conviction please. I want them under the sunshine law. I will wait here.

Then when sweetie gets that certified copy, go have a very nice and very polite talk with the sheriff and the probation officer.

They will point you in the right direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">