• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Ticket Price

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatieRamaker

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I recently received a ticket for underage possesion in Wisconsin. My ticket has a price of $135.50 on it, but on the internet under the circuit of courts my ticket is listed as $249.00. Is there any way I could use this incorrect information to get the ticket dropped? If not, can I still be forced to pay more than what is stated on my ticket?
Thanks!

You Are Guilty

KatieRamaker said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I recently received a ticket for underage possesion in Wisconsin. My ticket has a price of $135.50 on it, but on the internet under the circuit of courts my ticket is listed as $249.00. Is there any way I could use this incorrect information to get the ticket dropped? If not, can I still be forced to pay more than what is stated on my ticket?
Thanks!
Let's start at the beginning. Did you actually possess alcohol when you received the ticket?

KatieRamaker

You Are Guilty said:
Let's start at the beginning. Did you actually possess alcohol when you received the ticket?

Yes, I had a beer can in my hand but dropped it on the yard when the police officer drove up. He then asked if he had heard a beer can drop but neither my friend or I replied to this. He then told up not to move and put us in the officer's vehicle. He gave my friend a ticket for underage consumption and he gave me a ticket for underage possession. Neither of us were asked if we had been drinking and neither of us were given a breathalizer. My mom works at the court house in the county where I received the ticket and the clerk of courts admitted that the ticket price was incorrect, but that if I only sent the 135.50 that they would bill me for the remainder of the price.

KatieRamaker

Curt581 said:
No, there isn't. That wasn't an incorrect amount.

You were likely charged with a municipal ordnance violation which adopts one of the State statutes under Chapter 125. Municipal ordinances can have whatever deposit the City deems reasonable. That can be different than the State's standard Deposit Schedule, which is where you got the $249.00 dollar amount.

Possibly. In my jurisdiction, ALL ordnance violations carry a maximum penalty of $500.00, even though deposit amounts can be much less.

Is the maximum penalty imposed very often? No... in fact, it's extremely rare. 99% of penalties imposed follow the citation amount, even those found guiilty after a trial.

So, I should pay the ticket price of 135.50 and wait to see if they are going to charge me any more? My mother works at the court house in the county where I received the ticket and she said the clerk of courts admitted that the price listed on the ticket was incorrect but that if I only paid 135.50, they would bill me for the remainder of the 249.00.

You Are Guilty

Yep, you'll eventually have the pay the full amount. You might be able to work out a payment plan with the court if the lump sum isn't doable, but there is no requirement that the court let you. As you've learned, the amount listed on the ticket is merely the fine for the offense. There are a variety of court costs, state surcharges, taxes, etc. that are added to every ticket, in every state, which usually makes the amount owed a lot higher than what's listed. (Heck, NY adds a $55 "surcharge" to its $35 tickets, almost doubling them.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">