• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chris3429

What is the name of your state? DE

I'm active duty airforce and this past august my car was at a shop having work done on it. One night somebody broke into the shop and set my car on fire. I was questioned by the police, fire marshall, and insurance company. I had nothing to do with it, they paid my car off. Then just last week the military OSI called me in and questioned me about it. They said that they had me on tape saying that I had did it. But the really didn't. They threatned me with my military career if I didn't confess to doing it. So, I made up a story and said that I did it. Now, I'm facing court martial and probably getting kicked out of the military for something that i did not do. What should I do?

C

chris3429

cause I was under duress and they were saying that it was an open and shut case. They said that if I confessed that my commander would go easy on me. They also said that they over heard me say that I did it. When I asked them to let me hear the tape, they wouldn't. I was scared and I knew that I hadn't done anything, but I felt like they were going to get me even worse if I said that I didn't do it.

stephenk

you actually believed them that you would get worse punishment if you didnt confess? Why? you know you didnt do it right? you knew you never told anyone you did it, right? So what part of you believed they had evidence against you?

you need an attorney. it will be hard to get your confession suppressed unless on the recording of your confession it also includes the threats they were making. How much detail did you make up in your confession? Since you made up the story, the police and fire department reports may have details that prove your version could not have happened.

thank god you were never captured in combat, you would have given every military secret you knew if your captors just yelled BOO!

C

chris3429

I am getting a lawyer. But, I'm just worried that the fake confession is going to hang me. When the incident first happened I had to call my insurance company and the agent asked me questions about where I was that night. Well, I told her where I was and she had to record it. Then, an investigator came to my house and he recorded a conversation with me where I also stated where I was the night it happened. The insurance company paid me, I haven't been arrested. Plus, I have about 8 people who where at my friends house that night that it happened. And, they will testify in court that I was there all night. I really want to know if there is anyway that the fake confession will be thrown out in court. They don't have any evidence on me except that. What do you think my chances are? Any good advice would be very helpful.

stephenk

like i posted earlier, it depends on many things. how detailed is the confession, how long were you questioned before you confessed, were you really under "duress" to the extent that a reasonable person would falsely confess, are the facts of your confession consistent with the evidence at the scene of the arson, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">