• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intellectual Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Hi,
I'm not sure where I should post this question.

There was a hearing of the House Ways & Means Committee in which hundreds of American citizens, including myself, wrote letters to the Committee regarding our opinions of the nature of the hearing and our personal struggles re: unemployment.

The letters we sent have become "Statements for the Record." They have been posted on the House Ways & Means Committee website for that particular hearing, and are available for viewing by anyone.

May I use excerpts of the letters without the consent of those who wrote them? If so, must I include names or not?

I wish to use some of the statements of others in correspondence to Congress, and to major media sources. I would like to use the names of the people from whose letters I use, but if I can't do that, coould I use first name and just the initial of the last name?

Am I allowed to do this without their permission, since the statements are on public record, or would this be some kind of infringement upon people's rights?
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">