• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interceped mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bcbk1

intercepted mail

What is the name of your state? Pa
What can you do when someone (ex-wife of 15 years) put a bill in your name, and their address, with out your knowledge, and held the bill till it went to collections. She then sent the opened letter from the collection agency to me from her. So basically she opened mail intended for me. Do I have a legitamate cause to bring this against her, and under what law, that will stand up if I go to court.

Last edited:

racer72

Why go after her for opening the mail with your name on it? Thats small potatoes. You are a victim of identity theft and credit fraud. Your ex could be looking at criminal charges.

First, copy and paste the URL below an learn all you can about identity theft. File a report with the FTC. Second, contact the original creditor and file a credit fraud report. Give them all the information they want. Third, call the police and file a report. If it is a collection agency coming after you, a police report will be needed to get them off your back. Wait till everything plays out before considering any civil actions. You haven't suffered any losses yet, you have no cause to sue at this time.

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

Bravo8

Racer72 hit the nail right on the head. I would certainly contact the local PD. I would charge her for various sections of theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">