• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interesting question - washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

exile

Hi. Recently I was ordained by the Universal Life Church (www.ulc.org). It is a free ordination and is open to anyone. They allow any religious beliefs within legal bounds, under the name of their church. So my question is firstly, is this legally binding? And secondly, what are the laws that govern? Doesn't freedom of religion manifest itself into countless items of government? For instance, if I were to conduct mass and say my communion beliefs required everyone in the audience (minors included) to drink excessively... where does the government draw the line?

racer72

Your religous doctrine (which covers what you can and cannot do) cannot violate the law. Ask the gentlemen in Utah whos religion believes in bigamy but he is cooling his heels in jail for violating the state bigamy laws. If you decide your religion includes underage drinking, you will be arrested for contributing to a minor if you follow through. Your ordination by your so called church is not a license to violate the law.

N

Nozoki

My brother in Connecticut was ordained on the same site. He recently was allowed to legally perform a wedding ceremony for some friends of his, so I assume it really is a legal ordination.

E

exile

reasoning for question

And yes I am a college student... I'm quite interested in the law and was thinking this was a loophole (if such a thing exists).

"This section does not apply to liquor given to a person under the age of twenty-one years when such liquor is being used in connection with religious services and the amount consumed is the minimal amount necessary for the religious service."

This refers to section 2b of 66.44.270 of the Revised Code of Washington. Looking back, 2a covers consumption... so how do minors legally 'consume' at a communion?

-exile

A

amaris

Most churches now use non alcoholic communion wine to avoid getting into trouble. I suggest you do the same.

H

Humble Warrior

Exil.....read your own posting......"This law does NOT apply to......
Key word here NOT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">