• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interference with operation of school bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarieDust25

What is the name of your state? Mississippi Title 18 37-41-2
Hi,
On Oct 6, 2004 I boarded my son's school bus to confront the bus driver about a threat that she made towards him. As I walked onto the bus I tripped and spilled my juice on her. I received a "Violation Notice" for Simple Assault that day. I check not guilty and was told that I would receive a court date in the mail. I did receive a court date and went were i plead not guilty and received my trial date of the 28 Jan '05. I got a lawyer and he said that it is my word verses hers. So all was fine and my lawyer and I prepared. And just today the 24 Jan '05 I received an other "violation notice ( Interference with operation of school bus)" stating that i must appear in court this Friday the 28 Jan '05. First, what is the statue of limitations for this sort of thing. Second, The officer that came out to my home on Oct 6 '04 didn't write me that "Violation Notice" and the Notice I received today was signed by some other officer i never meet. Can that be done? Someone else writing me a situation 3 months later and only allowing me 4 days to prepare for this. And if so what are my options? Can anyone help me out here and give me some Ideas. I copied what I found out about the law below. Thanks,
FarieDust25

MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

SEC. 37-41-2. Interference with operation of school bus; penalty.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any individual, other than a student scheduled to be a passenger upon that particular bus, a member of the public school administration or faculty, or a law enforcement official, to directly or indirectly interfere in any way with passenger ingress and egress or the operation, including unauthorized boarding thereof, of a bus used in public school student transportation unless permission has been obtained as prescribed by pertinent rules and regulations promulgated by the state board of education or the local school authorities.

(b) Upon conviction of violation of any provision of this section, such individual shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed six (6) months, or both. Any person under the age of seventeen (17) who violates any provision of this section shall be treated as delinquent within the jurisdiction of the youth court.

SOURCES: Laws, 1973, ch. 339, Sec. 2, eff from and after June 1, 1973.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">