• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Travel with Felony Convictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelplessInTexas

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am an executive by trade in the Computer industry...In 2001 I was charged with Indecency with a minor during a horrendous divorce battle..my guilt or innocence is not at issue although I assure you it is the latter. I was also charged with possession of Cocaine while out on bail. Because of my extensive contacts overseas, i was made to surrender my passport until the trial was over. The trial ended twice in hung juries on the Indecency cases...they treatened 50 years for the cocaine and treated it as an habitual due to prior felony DUI's...or 6 years probation to plead guilty to ind. by exposure and register as a sex offender I tookte plea...(little did I know, nor my attorney) what being a reg. sex offender would entail...my life is a living hell...but thats another story. My question is: I have a Corporation that wants to offer me a Job as Executive VP of International Sales, in which I would be forced to travel abroad approx 25% of the time...A) can I renew my passport with the new convictions on there and leave the country at will for business? and B) Can the State or County (ie Probation) prevent me from travelling in order to make a living (which by the way is necesssary to pay the rediculous fees and Ploygraph fees required each month? Please help...I must decide whether or not to take the position this week.
Thanks to anyone who can help me.-----HelplessInTexas----:confused:

Last edited:

ceara19

HelplessInTexas said:
(little did I know, nor my attorney) what being a reg. sex offender would entail...my life is a living hell...but thats another story.
It's hard enough to believe that YOU had no idea what being a "registered sex offender" would entail, trying to claim that your attorney didn't is just plain nonsense. The phrase is pretty self-explanatory. What is it that you are NOT telling us?

My question is: I have a Corporation that wants to offer me a Job as Executive VP of International Sales, in which I would be forced to travel abroad approx 25% of the time...A) can I renew my passport with the new convictions on there and leave the country at will for business?
You could try, but don't get your hopes up.

and B) Can the State or County (ie Probation) prevent me from travelling in order to make a living (which by the way is necesssary to pay the rediculous fees and Ploygraph fees required each month? Please help...I must decide whether or not to take the position this week.
Thanks to anyone who can help me.-----HelplessInTexas----:confused:
Yes, they can and WILL restrict your ability to travel. If you are on probation, you're not allowed to leave the state without permission, much less the country. There are many jobs that DON'T require travel, so using the "I need to take this job to earn a living" won't get you very far.

Last edited by a moderator:

HelplessInTexas

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate you attempt to answer the questions that i posed, however, your underlying tone in you writing sggests contempt and follows the classical "groupthink" mentality. I know all of the things that you mentioned, I am not an idiot (or a predator as i can only assume you think that I am by your "what are you not telling us" comment. nad Id be willing to bet what little freedom I enjoy now that YOU my naive young friend Havn't the slightest clue what it's like to carry that label either...I'm not going to post my Phone number on this site for obvious reasons, however, If you would like to know what it DOES entail...I run a Non-Profit Organization right now and you can contact me via email at [email protected] and if you truly are interested in what it is like I'll call you and we can have an intelligent discussion about the matter...my civil rights have been violated so many times it woulod make your head spin. However, the question is still not answered: by State and Federal Statutes can the County Probation department deny me the ability to earn a living...and by the way this IS what I do..I am multi-degreed and opportunities like this one come along rarely...due to the fact that it costs $39.00 to have a background check done on someone "pre-hiring" and therefore I have been unemployeed for over four years now...fortunately I helped a gentleman who will remain anonymous (but his last name rhymes with Bell...start a PC company 20 years ago...and I have have been living off the stock I acquired (and my wife didnt take in the divorce) since then...but it has run out and I must return to the industry. Also: the other question that was not answered was " can I apply for and receive a valid Passport (mine has expired)?:)

AHA

HelplessInTexas said:
I appreciate you attempt to answer the questions that i posed, however, your underlying tone in you writing sggests contempt and follows the classical "groupthink" mentality. I know all of the things that you mentioned, I am not an idiot (or a predator as i can only assume you think that I am by your "what are you not telling us" comment. nad Id be willing to bet what little freedom I enjoy now that YOU my naive young friend Havn't the slightest clue what it's like to carry that label either...

You took a plea and that speaks for itself. You could have researched what being a registered sex offender means, and your laywer sure as heck should have know what it meant before you accepted the plea.

I'm not going to post my Phone number on this site for obvious reasons,

No one wants people's phone numbers here, what is relevant to the legal issue can be discussed online

however, If you would like to know what it DOES entail...I run a Non-Profit Organization right now and you can contact me via email at [email protected] and if you truly are interested in what it is like I'll call you and we can have an intelligent discussion about the matter...my civil rights have been violated so many times it woulod make your head spin. However, the question is still not answered: by State and Federal Statutes can the County Probation department deny me the ability to earn a living...and by the way this IS what I do..I am multi-degreed and opportunities like this one come along rarely...due to the fact that it costs $39.00 to have a background check done on someone "pre-hiring" and therefore I have been unemployeed for over four years now...fortunately I helped a gentleman who will remain anonymous (but his last name rhymes with Bell...start a PC company 20 years ago...and I have have been living off the stock I acquired (and my wife didnt take in the divorce) since then...but it has run out and I must return to the industry.

All totally irrelevant and was a waste of typing on your part. No one is denying you to earn a living, there are plenty of computer jobs that don't require you to ever leave US soil. Since you bragged about your connection with him, why aren't you calling your good buddy Mr Dell for a job??

Also: the other question that was not answered was " can I apply for and receive a valid Passport (mine has expired)?:)
You can apply for a passport, but no one can say if you will be approved or not

HelplessInTexas

I he done the reserch and I know I can get a passport witha felony...I had a felony when I got the first one...secondly, Michael leaves hiring up to HR...and even with my Resume and experience...with a sex offense on my record...NO NOE will touvh me when it comes to hiring. Perhaps this was a mistake..I was expecting legal advice, instead, I get what I always get JUdgment and "oh it's easy if you know who you say you know" to get a job when you have skills....NO it is not...And clearly (no offense) but neither of you have a clue what it is like to carry this label. Yes I did Plea...reason: I was arrested for possession and after 2 trials and 2 hung juries...the DA gave me a choice 5-99 ojn the POCS charge or plead guilty to Indecency and recieve Probation...I have a son(at the time 14) I wanted to see graduate from High School and College...and my mother had just been Diagnosed with Multiple Myloma....I did not want to be absent for his life or her death...I though(as did my Lawyer) that I wopuld have to register fro 10 years and go to some therapy...seemed harmless enough....but 30K later, 4+ Polygraghs per year, Plathysmagraph (look that oone up)...and the inability to even go to Walomart without a written High Risk plan....see where Im going with this?...NO, and you never will...nobody except Sex Offenders, thei Underqualified Therapists, Narcissistic Probation officers know...Hell...No Even the JUDGE (the Hon. Jon Wisser) had any Idea what we went through.
Thanks anyway.....:)

garrula lingua

If you violate the terms of probation, the Judge can impose a state prison sentence.

I don't deny you are having (& will continue to have) difficulties. However, you have been lumped in with very dangerous people. In order to protect children, we, the people, are willing to forfeit your rights (and you did plead, willingly).

Get permission from Probation. If Probation won't grant permission, your only recourse is to request permission from the Judge.

If the Judge won't grant permission, you have a choice: abandon Probation (bench warrant will be issued & definite prison if found) or wait until probation expires (about one more year).

Your civil rights are curtailed, as the safety of children takes precedence. You will still have to register after your Probation period is over. Be careful; if you change states, the same. or worse (CA - registration is a lifetime requirement for most offenses, within five bus days of your birthday each year & upon each move).

ceara19

HelplessInTexas said:
I appreciate you attempt to answer the questions that i posed, however, your underlying tone in you writing sggests contempt and follows the classical "groupthink" mentality. I know all of the things that you mentioned, I am not an idiot (or a predator as i can only assume you think that I am by your "what are you not telling us" comment. nad Id be willing to bet what little freedom I enjoy now that YOU my naive young friend Havn't the slightest clue what it's like to carry that label either...I'm not going to post my Phone number on this site for obvious reasons, however, If you would like to know what it DOES entail...I run a Non-Profit Organization right now and you can contact me via email at [email protected] and if you truly are interested in what it is like I'll call you and we can have an intelligent discussion about the matter...my civil rights have been violated so many times it woulod make your head spin. However, the question is still not answered: by State and Federal Statutes can the County Probation department deny me the ability to earn a living...and by the way this IS what I do..I am multi-degreed and opportunities like this one come along rarely...due to the fact that it costs $39.00 to have a background check done on someone "pre-hiring" and therefore I have been unemployeed for over four years now...fortunately I helped a gentleman who will remain anonymous (but his last name rhymes with Bell...start a PC company 20 years ago...and I have have been living off the stock I acquired (and my wife didnt take in the divorce) since then...but it has run out and I must return to the industry. Also: the other question that was not answered was " can I apply for and receive a valid Passport (mine has expired)?:)
I could care less what you did or didn't do. The fact is, you are on felony probation and must register as a sex offender. I have a very hard time believing that ANYONE that holds multiple degrees and runs a non-profit organization had no idea what being a registered sex offender entails. I am also quite positive that there is not a reputable criminal lawyer in the country that doesn't know what it means to be a registered sex offender.

Your problem is not can you get your passport renewed, that is irrelevant. If the terms of your probation forbid you from leaving the country (which it does) you can't leave the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">