• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mountie4life

What is the name of your state? WV

My husband recently used my credit card to log in to one of the video cam chat communities (with my permission) for one time only. When I received my credit card bill, it had $750 of charges from the site that he did not agree to and denies accepting. I contacted the website to ask that my name and account be blocked from any further transactions. During this conversation, they stated that they have re-credited my account since they knew that someone else (i.e. my husband) had activated the account and that the issue was in their fraud department (which brings me to my question?).

I am just fearful that they will come after him and charge hime with credit card fraud. Can this web company charge my husband with fraud? Is there anyway to keep this out of court? One more thing, if we are liable, shoudl I contact them and state that this was a misunderstanding and make arrangements to pay the charges that they alleged were run up?

Souix

mountie4life said:
What is the name of your state? WV

My husband recently used my credit card to log in to one of the video cam chat communities (with my permission) for one time only. When I received my credit card bill, it had $750 of charges from the site that he did not agree to and denies accepting. I contacted the website to ask that my name and account be blocked from any further transactions. During this conversation, they stated that they have re-credited my account since they knew that someone else (i.e. my husband) had activated the account and that the issue was in their fraud department (which brings me to my question?).

I am just fearful that they will come after him and charge hime with credit card fraud. Can this web company charge my husband with fraud? Is there anyway to keep this out of court? One more thing, if we are liable, shoudl I contact them and state that this was a misunderstanding and make arrangements to pay the charges that they alleged were run up?

**I would definately let the credit card company know that you gave your husband authorization to use the card. Also tell them to take it out of the fraud department, because his use was not fraudulent.

What are you liable for? Are you stating you are liable for fraud or the bill? Did you call the company where the charges were rung up? Please clarify.

M

mountie4life

Just to clarify, I did contact my credit card company and asked for a new credit card number, but I did not dispute the charges on the credit card bill with the credit card company whatsoever. I also contacted the actual website company (who charged my credit card) to close my account, and it seems as though the fraud dept. of the website company is looking into the transactions.

So, I guess the real question is: what is the likeliness that the website company (NOT the actual credit card company) pursue this claim?

I guess the cbest lesson out of all of this is never to put a credit card number on the internet unless it is a secure site :)rolleyes: )

Souix

mountie4life said:
Just to clarify, I did contact my credit card company and asked for a new credit card number, but I did not dispute the charges on the credit card bill with the credit card company whatsoever. I also contacted the actual website company (who charged my credit card) to close my account, and it seems as though the fraud dept. of the website company is looking into the transactions.

So, I guess the real question is: what is the likeliness that the website company (NOT the actual credit card company) pursue this claim?

I guess the cbest lesson out of all of this is never to put a credit card number on the internet unless it is a secure site :)rolleyes: )

**Just wondering what it was that cost you $750. You don't have to say. =)

T

TB185

If the Credit Card Company wants to prosecute, you will need to cooperate to prove the case. You will have to testify that it was your card, and that your husband did not have authorization to use it. The company has several choices.

1. It can forget about the whole thing.
2. It can force you into a situation where you need to make a choice. It will require you to assist them in prosecuting. If you refuse, then you accept responsibility for paying it.
3. It can forget about prosecuting and just sue you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">