• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Harassment Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirithawk309

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Recently I met a girl online and we talked for about 3 weeks and then she wanted my phone number to text/call. We started doing that and about a month into that we fell in love, may sound weird but its true. After about 2 months I asked her to marry me, she said yes. Her ex-boyfriend decided that this had gone to far and told her Mom everything. How we met, what has been going on and that we are "Engaged". Her mom flipped out and went to the police and got a background check on me, lied to her and said that I had an internet harassment charge on my record. I would be informed of that if that were true right? I have looked online for anything to try to look at my record, I have never known about it, I have never been contacted about such a thing so it's all weird.

I am no longer allowed to call, text, email, or message her on facebook or else I do get a harassment charge on me. Though shouldn't the police or her mom contact me and tell me this? No one has said anything except that of which my fiance has told me. Is that legal? Can they do that without telling me?

I am 18 as of March 9th. She is 16, 17 May 11th. I'm in Oregon and she is in Rhode Island. Which adds to the weirdness factor for some. I'm just not sure what to think or do..

Spirithawk309

She hasn't done any of that stuff.. It's all her Mom. She still wants to marry me. She is still coming to Oregon to go to college. I think I gave the wrong impression. She still loves me but her Mom is constricting us.. Not sure what else to say.

PJ Weber

She hasn't done any of that stuff.. It's all her Mom. She still wants to marry me. She is still coming to Oregon to go to college. I think I gave the wrong impression. She still loves me but her Mom is constricting us.. Not sure what else to say.
She is a MINOR . . .

Stay away until she turns 18

You are engaged without even seeing each other in person . . . :eek:

Spirithawk309

Yeah.. It's just stupid how all this **** can go on. I guess it's hard for people to see how hard it is doing anything.. If I end it she'll kill herself.. If I try to talk to her I get in legal trouble.. I don't know anymore.. It's all confusing. So freaking confusing. If I stop texting her friend she goes emotional and thinks I died.. I don't know what to do.. I mean.. Really.. Couldn't that be pinned on me if she kills herself?

fairisfair

dude??? are you mentally deficient??

You are an adult, she is a child.

Her mother says stay away.

You stay away.

It is

simple.

In two years, the two of you can wander off into the sunset together.

Raptoer

It is very unlikely that it would be pinned on you if she killed herself in this situation.

In order to have a crime on your record, you have to be convicted, or at least charged of the crime. Since you have no recollection of being in court, it is very unlikely that you have an internet harassment charge, if there even is such a thing.

I doubt it is illegal to contact your girlfriend, unless you have a NO CONTACT restraining order placed on you by her mother. That being said, perhaps it is not illegal, but why aggravate the situation with her mother more?

Honestly I would flip out if my 16 yr old daughter was proposed to by someone she had never met, marriage isn't something to jump into.

My best non-legal advice is to just take it easy, honestly two years is a decent amount of time, but if you do anything foolish and get a restraining order or some other legal issue, it would just be a royal pain.

If you do want to continue this relationship, I suggest renounce your intention to marry her at this point in time, it can be reinstated later, when she is no longer underage. Back off for a little while, but make sure your girlfriend knows that you don't intend to break up, just, back off for some time.

Spirithawk309

Thank you Raptoer. Best advice yet. Sad thing is is I don't know how long we can go without talking.. For her sake. I mean.. I am emotional as can be but she is freaking out.

She wants to go to Mississippi so we can marry there because of the parent consent thing.. I don't really know how to work this all out.

I would be informed of a restraining order right?

seniorjudge

Thank you Raptoer. Best advice yet. Sad thing is is I don't know how long we can go without talking.. For her sake. I mean.. I am emotional as can be but she is freaking out.

She wants to go to Mississippi so we can marry there because of the parent consent thing.. I don't really know how to work this all out.

I would be informed of a restraining order right?
The boy is dense....

Spirithawk309

Though I am uneducated in laws that does not mean I am a complete idiot. I am asking these questions to know how far I can go without getting in trouble so that she doesn't do anything to hurt herself. I couldnt live with myself knowing there was more I could do but didn't because I was scared.

One thing I forgot to mention was that we have physically met. Nothing sexual went on, she came to visit mainly to look at PSU and to be with me.

As for the sexual text messages on my side, I sent none. She had sent many sexual ones to me trying to describe what she wanted to happen, I never replied in a sexual manner because I know the consequences.

VeronicaLodge

Yeah.. It's just stupid how all this **** can go on. I guess it's hard for people to see how hard it is doing anything.. If I end it she'll kill herself.. If I try to talk to her I get in legal trouble.. I don't know anymore.. It's all confusing. So freaking confusing. If I stop texting her friend she goes emotional and thinks I died.. I don't know what to do.. I mean.. Really.. Couldn't that be pinned on me if she kills herself?
if she is that mentally unstable, you need to stay out of it completely, let her family take care of her, she is a child!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">