• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet law concerning privacy..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T@ngO

I couldnt find a board that revolves aound my persononal question. What I need to know , or be directed to is this. I go to a message board. And on this board there are a couple people that have threatened a few others from same board. That they would post there personal ICQ messages on the public forum. These messages were also described as being harmfull and would be posted with the intent to discredit people involved. I would like to know if this is in any way against the law. I know im suposed to give a state, but with the internet, i really dont know where the people involved live.. I would appretiate any help or direction...You can icq me anytime at 16626910...Thanx..

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, if these are written false statements about people who are identifiable, then it is defamation.

If these are violent threats about identifiable people, and the people who are the subjects of this know about it, it can be construed as harassment or cyberstalking. California has prosecuted many cases involving cyberstalking.

I am not sure how this would go but I would imagine the people are get these threats know which state they are from and it is up to them to check into cyberstalking/harassment laws on the Internet.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">