• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rtpman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC

Are there federal or state laws that deal specifically with Internet threats on a forum? In my example the person making what I see as a threat says "that if they knew who I was and where I lived they would..... " and goes on to say they would arrange a protest on my property. My question is what constitutes a criminal threat? Would the fact that the person uses "...." after stating"they would" imply they intented to do more than stage a protest?

I am pretty sure I have the person on defamation charges since the person specifically names me and states I've committed serious state and federal crimes even though I've previously advised this person and it is common knowledge on the forum I haven't.

I have no ax to grind with this person but I need to let them know legally what laws they are possibly violating by wrongfully attacking me in this manner.

I seem to remember some federal legislation that deat with Internet email threats but of course can't find reference to the law. I would think that if there are federal laws dealing with "denial of service" and I am almost positive "Internet email threats", I would hope there is some form of federal law prohibiting personal Internet threats.

Thanks in advance

CdwJava

Most state laws require that the threat be real and immediate (or couched in a similar unequivocal nature as to give the receiving party cause to believe it shall be undertaken immediately). There may be misdemeanor charges for annoying and harassing messages or calls, but its not likely to go anywhere.

The police and the FBI do NOT have the time to track down every rinky-dink threat that crosses the ether. Telling someone you might kick their tail if you knew where they lived is not going to get anyone all that excited to investigate it. Unless your local police are very, very bored, this would be lucky if it even made it to paper.

And arranging a protest on your property would not be a criminal threat at all.

I have looked in to this in the past - I used to receive direct threats while on another message board simply because I was a cop ... one that was very unequivocal and specific. However, after looking in to the matter with local law enforcement and the FBI at the time (I was in a big city and county) there was no crime that could be charged.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">