• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet web space...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ratmjoe

i live in new york..

ok about a year and a half ago someone i was talking to on an internet message board let me use his domain name and web space for my website which was dedicated to my favorite rock band. he said i could use it for a couple months because he had prepaid and there was only a few months left on the account. well it's been almost 18 months later and the website is still up.

well to my suprise the website was hacked a couple days ago and the hacker put an Anti-Palestine banner on my website. the site gets about 100-200 visitors a day and i'm getting some pretty nasty e-mails. i would love to remove the banner but i can't because i forgot the password to the site.

now here's my question. if i were to attempt to contact the owner of the site could he press charges against me? maybe for theft of his web space? pretty much could he accuse me of anything illegal? i have done anything illegal?

any and all help is appreciated.

T

talianna

If the owner wanted your site removed, and he still has the information- and even if he doesn't, then you're probably not going to get into trouble. He's the one who has the right to get the server to send the password and stuff to him again, and if he had a problem with your site, he could've deleted it without a problem.

Try contacting him. The worst you could get is a "You really should move your site now," from him.

Besides, if he had a problem with you using the site, your e-mail address is apparently on the site. Most people would contact you.

But then again, I'm not an attorney.

Last edited:
C

CombatTN88

Rat Joe,
Do me a favor. Get a different web hosting site of your owns for as little as 5 dollars a month and make yourself an owner.

So far for this domain, that owner is responsible for this. He was one whom has contact details which means he can be held accountable if anything illegally happened on that website. You are not responsible for this. Just because you can use it doesn't mean you are responsible in the view of the law. Same goes if I rent apartment (sign a contract), I let somebody use it. If something happened to the apartment, I would be liable, not somebody.

Relax and find other hosting site of yours.

Combat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">