• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet webcam entrapment or just someone being a jerk?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seriously_Askin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

So here is the situation.

I was on yahoo instant messenger. I had been in the Romance--> By Location chat room but had left it.

I received a message from someone who said they had seen me in the room. They purported to be two girls. They then offered to get naked on webcam...if I exposed myself first. This was the full extent of the chat and they contacted me first.

I got on cam (which was stupid, I know). As soon as they saw the cam, this user sent me a digital photo of their badge and claimed to be a detective. They said that I had exposed myself to two 15 year old girls and that they were sending my IP address etc to the State Police.

My question is: is this just all garbage or someone trying to mess with people who cam? As far as I can tell, I did nothing wrong.

They contacted me first.
They asked to see me naked.
At no time did the user identify themselves as underage (in which case I certainly would not have done anything).

Moreover, would a policeman really send that message anyway? With a badge? It bothered me enough to delete the photo and close my account (probably a good thing to do anyway) but the more I think about it, the more it seems to have been someone intentionally messing with me.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">