• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interpretation of Missouri Weapon Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yuoso

Chapter 571 in Missouri. Here is a link to the full text: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm

Here are the relevant parts that mention the word "knife" or apply that I can find.

Chapter 571 08/28/2013

571.010 (12) "Knife", any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;

571.020. 1. A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(d) A switchblade knife.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

5. Subdivisions (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to section 563.031.
Question 1) Does this mean that, with a CCW, I am able to conceal carry a "knife" that is 7 inches long with a fixed blade?
Question 2) Side question, but the way that item 5 is written makes it sound like with a CCW I can now carry into churches, government building, schools ,etc. This more of a theoretical as I would never want to. Still, it is soooo badly worded.

Thoughts? :) Thanks

quincy

Chapter 571 in Missouri. Here is a link to the full text: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm

Here are the relevant parts that mention the word "knife" or apply that I can find.

Question 1) Does this mean that, with a CCW, I am able to conceal carry a "knife" that is 7 inches long with a fixed blade?
Question 2) Side question, but the way that item 5 is written makes it sound like with a CCW I can now carry into churches, government building, schools ,etc. This more of a theoretical as I would never want to. Still, it is soooo badly worded.

Thoughts? :) Thanks
I have puzzled over your interpretation.

How exactly do you see, with what you have quoted above, that you can carry a 7 inch long knife with a fixed blade into a church?

I have not read the weapons law (just the excerpt you have included above) but I do not see what is written as being unclear at all.

TigerD

First, I recommend you review this site: http://www.knifeup.com/missouri-knife-laws/
It has a round up of Missouri laws on the subject. That round up may or may not be complete or accurate.

Why you would want to attempt to conceal a knife with a 7 inch blade is beyond me.

Let's talk practicality for a minute:
1. How would you get busted for illegally carrying a concealed fixed-blade in a church? Someone would have to see it. If someone saw it, then it was not properly concealed. Then someone would have to contact law enforcement. Realistically, that will only happen after you refuse to remove the knife and refuse to leave. Then you face several other issues.
2. How would you conceal a knife with a 7-inch fixed blade. That is a foot of unbending steel somewhere on your person. If you jam it into a boot, you won't be able to access the knife without stripping, which defeats the purpose. If you strap it to your belt, it will not be concealed. If you strap it inside your belt, it will produce a significant bulge and render you unable to sit (remember getting called to the chalkboard with a boner in junior high school? everyone knew then too). I cannot think of a single way to conceal such a large knife that would allow you to access it if needed. It really defeats the point if you can't use it. Which brings us to the next question:
3. Why do you feel a need to carry a dagger in church? Perhaps you should find a different church.

I am specifically refraining from giving a legal opinion on the legality of carrying a fixed-blade knife with a 7-inch-blade concealed in church. I will say that it seems to be unwise and contrary to the intent of going to church.

DC

Yuoso

I have puzzled over your interpretation.

How exactly do you see, with what you have quoted above, that you can carry a 7 inch long knife with a fixed blade into a church?

I have not read the weapons law (just the excerpt you have included above) but I do not see what is written as being unclear at all.
I just re read the page and realized I have been misinterpreting it the whole time.

2. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to the persons described in this subsection, regardless of whether such uses are reasonably associated with or are necessary to the fulfillment of such person's official duties except as otherwise provided in this subsection. Subdivisions (3), (4), (6), (7), and (9) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons, when such uses are reasonably associated with or are necessary to the fulfillment of such person's official duties, except as otherwise provided in this subsection:
I took that to apply to the section above it, not the one below. My bad. That negates the whole of question 1. Thanks

Yuoso

In response to everyone, I just want to carry my Ka-Bar on my hip. I am concerned over what knifeitup says

"A knife is considered concealed in Missouri if it is not readily and practically visible to approaching persons under ordinary circumstances. In the case of State v. Rowe, Thomas Rowe was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, when a search of his pickup truck revealed a knife with a six-inch blade hidden in the pocket of the driver’s side door. The Missouri Court of appeals found that even though the handle of the knife was visible, the weapon was considered concealed because the handle was not easily recognizable as part of a weapon. The Rowe Court also concluded that in order to convict a person for conceal carrying a knife, the knife must be in easy reach of that person."

By that definition, simply being in the holster on my hip it could "Not be easily recognizable as part of a weapon". Or, just the bottom end being visible might "Not be easily recognizable as part of a weapon".

Even though I want it on my hip, I don't want to have to tuck my shirt and coat behind it. It looks tacky and I feel like it comes across as "Check out what's on my hip guys, ain't it cool?" -_-

quincy

I just re read the page and realized I have been misinterpreting it the whole time.

I took that to apply to the section above it, not the one below. My bad. That negates the whole of question 1. Thanks
Weapons laws in all states can be confusing because there tend to be a lot of exceptions to the laws. But I think it is safe to say, based on the wording of Missouri's weapons laws, that you would be very smart to not attempt to conceal a knife with a seven-inch fixed blade - especially when entering a school or a government building where security tends to be tight. It is better to look tacky than to be arrested and charged with a weapons law violation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">