• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intoxicated and Disruptive...NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nolucklarry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was arrested and charged with being intoxicated and disruptive outside of a bar.

I am a senior college student with a very good GPA, and will be applying for grad school in the Fall and a criminal record will severely limit my chances of being accepted.

This is my first offense, of any kind, on my record. I've never even been in trouble in school. I went out with a group of my friends, and had too much to drink and then I made a few poor word choices with an officer. I was wondering what I could do to help my chances of this not making it to my record. My court date is coming up in May. Should I try to hire a private attorney (I'm on a tight budget)? Or will a court appointed attorney suffice?
Are there any classes I can take to help?

I very rarely drink, and have only been "drunk" a couple of times in my entire life. Since this incident, I've had more than enough motivation to never pick up the bottle again.

Please provide any pertinent advice you may have.

Thank you.

FlyingRon

Public defenders are for the indigent who can not afford counsel rather than being some default for those who are unwilling to pay for one.

There's not enough details here to say what sort of defense you may have and whether you might qualify for any mitigation, plea bargain, diversion. Get the lawyer.

swalsh411

What is the basis of your belief that this will severely impact your chances of getting into grad school? Is that just something you heard?

nolucklarry

I actually cannot afford a lawyer, I'm an unemployed college student who gets by with loans and financial aid. It's possible my parents would lend me the money, but that's doubtful. I pick up some work tutoring students to make ends meet.

When you said I have not provided enough info for you to help, what other info would you like? The ticket they gave me just says I was intoxicated and disruptive using curse words with an officer. I didn't resist arrest, I didn't physically interact with anyone, I never lied to the officer. I have nothing on my record, not even traffic tickets.
I just want to go into this with as much information as possible.

Also when applying to grad school, or pharmacy (which I'm also considering) they ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime. This is considered a class 3 misdemeanor unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses, and any future ones...they are greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">