• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intrastate phone harassment-- please advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoFrustrating

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

I am a 22 year old woman living in NYC. A 22 year old man in Texas with whom I was close friends with-- 5 or 6 years ago when we were kids-- has been calling my cell phone 30-40 times every 2-3 days/ nights, leaving 15-25 voicemail messages each time. He continues to call, demanding (in voicemail messages) that I call him back to tell him why I'm no longer speaking to him, sometimes insultingly and at other times leaving nothing but loud music or mundane sounds like whistling in the messages; he also text messages me in the same tenor on occassion. I have not once picked up the phone and exchanged words with him because I would not feel comfortable or safe talking to him.

This has been going on for about a month yet he continues to persevere; he claims he will continue doing so until I communicate with him, no matter how long it takes. I called my cell phone company to ask if I may have his phone numbers blocked to which they responded 'no, but we can get you a new phone number.' I wouldn't mind having my number changed, but this man would very easily get my number from one of the many friends we have in common and also continue to harrass me via email. Because I cannot afford to hire a lawyer, I have not yet pursued any action against this man, hoping he would relent. Now, however, I recognize that something must be done-- he wakes me up anywhere between 1a and 4:30a several nights a week! He even mentioned in one of his voicemails that I should get a restraining order against him if I want his calls to stop.

I would like to go to the NYPD to file a police report for phone harassment, but before doing so I'd like to know my rights in this situation. Also, for this type of issue, may I pursue a charge I file against him without having to pay for a lawyer? I know that this man has one possession of marijuana charge on his record from earlier this year and may even be on probation. Is there any way I can have the police inquire into whether or not he has a probation officer and have them contact that officer? Any information anyone can provide me would be exceedingly appreciated.

Distraughtedly yours,
SoFrustrating

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">