• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wramos52

Need answer to the following. NY State

Do you expect a level of Privacy while in a dentist exam room.
When you are in that situation is the door to the room open or closed. Is there a dental assistant present.

basis for question:

A dental office was broken into, in addition during normal office hours, some dental medical instruments etc. were missing. The Doctor while examing patients always leaves the door open to the exam rooms.

He is considering installing covert ( Hidden ) Cameras inside the exam rooms or just outside looking in since the doors are open.
He is concerned with regard to patients expectation of privacy and he wants to protect himself from possible theft or accusations of misconduct.

question.

Would putting the covert cameras inside the exam rooms violate a patients expections of right to privacy even though the door is kept open regardless.

I would like to know because I will be the one installing the equipment and there maybe other dental offices following this course. I would like to protect myself and my client from a possible suit of invasion of privacy.

Thank You for your help and adivce

C

curtisd

i don't have an answer but i do have a question-would that be any different than having a security camera in a store and would it make a difference if he posted a sign informing patients they were installed?

W

wramos52

I don't know, but I belive that he would not want to post any signs for fear of affending some clients. The reception camera could be a normal camera in plain view. This might ease the patients into the idea.

C

curtisd

i wouldn't think that the patients would be offended since it protects them from misconduct also

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">