• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

invasion of privacy and faked facebook profile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EasternOrigin44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

When I was a undergraduate, I was being taped by a hidden camera in the bathroom at a school library. That school has prior incidences of hidden camera where the athlete was being taped in public restroom and the videos ended up being circulated online. The incidence was discussed by the major newspapers across the nation.

I was not aware of the wrongdoing until 2 years later, when I was in a Ph.D program, I learned what happened when I overheard my coworkers gossip among themselves regarding the camera incidences. I did not have great relation with the coworkers at that time, and several of them must have decided to post the video on several major foreign languages websites.

It appeared that the perpetrator(s) must have know me personally or through regular school gossip, and was determined to cause serious damage to both me and my family. He or she decided to email the spy videos to my acquaintances , and set up a fake profile on facebook and xanga, in which my phone number and addresses are being published.

I need to find out whether this transgression is punishable by criminal law, and really appreciate if someone can tell me more about the current law regarding video voyeurism

justalayman

there is a great chance at least some of it was criminal. Videotaping a person in a restroom without a proper notification is illegal. The fact is happened so long ago it might not be a big interest to the police or DA but that is where I would start.

you should also make a demand on whatever site is publishing this to take it down.

EasternOrigin44

I been looking up the law regarding hidden camera. but it appear that different states have different guideline regarding whether hidden camera in bathroom is illegal.

Is any law that will punish someone for making a faked GPS-based social networking profile of another person?

Silverplum

I been looking up the law regarding hidden camera. but it appear that different states have different guideline regarding whether hidden camera in bathroom is illegal.

Is any law that will punish someone for making a faked GPS-based social networking profile of another person?
Regarding the bolded: The only state laws that matter in your case are the laws of the state in which you were recorded.

justalayman

=EasternOrigin44;2569606]I been looking up the law regarding hidden camera. but it appear that different states have different guideline regarding whether hidden camera in bathroom is illegal.
I'm not sure what you were looking at but I cannot imagine any state allowing recording a person in a bathroom without either notification or a special exception based on some law such as a warrant or such.

based just on what you have presented: no. There are a lot of things that could be done that might make it illegal but generally, it is not illegal for (as an example) me to claim I am EasternOrigin44 and show people your actual address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">