• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Manslaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P4r4digm

This is a strange question and I wasn't entirely sure where to post this but i'm trying to write a novel and am looking for some realistic legal information.

Say a war vet suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome inadvertently kills someone while having a relapse or flashback and it is proven in court that the relaps is to blame. I assume this would be a case of involuntary manslaughter...what sort of sentence would a case like this get? I've tried to find precedence cases but can't come up with anything. The state in question is virginia if that helps...any light on the subject would be greatly apreciated.

cyjeff

This is why we don't like dealing in hypothetical situation... there are simply too many variables.

How was the person killed? What is the relationship of the killer to the victim? How was PTSD diagnosed and/or validated for the killing?

How many people were killed? Could this be considered a hate crime due to the trigger event (he flipped when, for instance, he saw a Muslim person)?

And then you have to factor in everything from the DA's attitude to the defense attorney's ability to what the judge had for breakfast.

Just too many variables.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">