• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

iowa code 714.2 (2) felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

2. The theft of property exceeding one thousand dollars but not exceeding ten thousand dollars in value or theft of a motor vehicle as defined in chapter 321 not exceeding ten thousand dollars in value, is theft in the second degree. Theft in the second degree is a class "D" felony. However, for purposes of this subsection, "motor vehicle" does not include a motorized bicycle as defined in section 321.1, subsection 40, paragraph "b"​

Did you have a question?

bunchxkm

Help! Unsure what 714.2(3) means!

In 2001 (I was 17), I was charged with 713.6A(1). Under the advice of my court appointed lawyer I used my differed sentence and plead guilty to 714.2(3). (Should have got a real lawyer and fought it). I got some fines & probation and completed it with out any incidents.

My question is, can I buy a gun? More specifically a handgun? According to my half crock lawyer, since it was differed sentence, I wouldn't be considered a felon & I wouldn't have to check that box on job applications. What does this mean when it comes to guns? When I look at Iowa Court Records Online it comes up as:

Charge: 714.2(3) Description: THEFT 3RD DEGREE - 1978 (AGMS)
Adj.: DEFERRED Adj.Date: 10/23/2001

The only other violations I have had are minor traffic violations. I don't want to pay the fee's to get a gun permit only to get denied. The people at the court house said to pay the fees, and in 3 to 4 days they can tell me if I get denied or approved.

Any help would be appreciated!

FlyingRon

Looks like you got a deferred adjudication from what little we can see from your posting. If you haven't done something that would have "undeferred" your adjudication you appear to be good as far as Iowa is concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">