• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

iPhone drama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jodilla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
About 2 months ago, my sister-in law was tragically killed by a drunk driver. Her first cousin had possession of her iPhone, decided no one wanted it, and gave it to me. I asked her, via text, which I still have, if she was sure, and she said yes. I asked her several times. So I proceeded to put the "unlocked" phone in my name, and paid almost $80 to hook it up and buy accessories for it. Meanwhile the cousin got mad at me and demanded it back. It was not her phone to begin with, and all records of purchase are gone. Do I have to give it back? She's harassing me like crazy.

justalayman

she has no claim on it. It is up to the estate to determine who it now belongs to.

Return it to the estate or get a letter from the administrator of the estate they gave it to you. Other than that, neither you nor the cousin have anything to say about the phone.

Banned_Princess

O/T

we talked before about jailbreaking or unlocking a Iphone, and I wasn't sure companies that use the SIM cards will work...

I don't think they can, theres nowhere to insert the chip.

I know thats old, just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

davew128

An iPhone IMO is an overglorified toy. I have a Blackberry 9700 that does everything the iPhone does without the touch pad and costs a lot less to buy and use to boot.

FlyingRon

O/T

we talked before about jailbreaking or unlocking a Iphone, and I wasn't sure companies that use the SIM cards will work...

I don't think they can, theres nowhere to insert the chip.

I know thats old, just thought I'd throw that out there. :)
The iPhone uses a standard 64K sim card. The underlying radio in the existing ones will only work on the four GSM/UMTS bands which in the US pretty much means either AT&T or T-MOBILE. You insert the chip by poking that glorified paperclip that came with the phone into the small hole in the top of the phone. A little tray comes out with the SIM ... stupidly, the serial number of the phone is also written on the tray (believe me I had a run around with the Apple Store on some warranty issues when I swapped sim cards tray and all with my wife's phone).

Unlocking (specifically removing the subsidy lock) will allow you to use non-ATT SIMS. This usually isn't too hard as it is what you need to use it overseas.

Jailbraking is completely different. That means to bust the loader that forces you to only install apps from the iTunes AppStore. It's pretty invasive to the phone software and really shouldn't be done unless you have a tremendously good reason to want to do that.

Banned_Princess

The iPhone uses a standard 64K sim card. The underlying radio in the existing ones will only work on the four GSM/UMTS bands which in the US pretty much means either AT&T or T-MOBILE. You insert the chip by poking that glorified paperclip that came with the phone into the small hole in the top of the phone. A little tray comes out with the SIM ... stupidly, the serial number of the phone is also written on the tray (believe me I had a run around with the Apple Store on some warranty issues when I swapped sim cards tray and all with my wife's phone).

Unlocking (specifically removing the subsidy lock) will allow you to use non-ATT SIMS. This usually isn't too hard as it is what you need to use it overseas.

Jailbraking is completely different. That means to bust the loader that forces you to only install apps from the iTunes AppStore. It's pretty invasive to the phone software and really shouldn't be done unless you have a tremendously good reason to want to do that.
That was alot more informative then anything I have ever said on the matter. Thank you!

The Sim is a surprise to me... lol, but then again thats not hard to do. I leave all that technical stuff up to the man in my life. and I am a slave to the information he gives me.

Cheers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">