• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's shameful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mggs

What is the name of your state? NY

I am thoroughly disgusted by this? An acquaintance of mine was telling me of a friend of his who is hiding his parents assets so that the system will pay for them to live in a retirement home. They have more than enough money to afford this, but have chosen to break the law and have the government pick up the tab.

How can situations like this be prevented? Is there an organization that prosecutes people who commit such fraud?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? NY

I am thoroughly disgusted by this? An acquaintance of mine was telling me of a friend of his who is hiding his parents assets so that the system will pay for them to live in a retirement home. They have more than enough money to afford this, but have chosen to break the law and have the government pick up the tab.

How can situations like this be prevented? Is there an organization that prosecutes people who commit such fraud?
When did they start this estate planning? It's not illegal to protect assets in certain situations. If it was far enough before the nursing home was needed, that's estate planning.

mggs

What to do

They were aware they would be going to a retirement home in a few months. At that time they asked their son to hid their assests in his account

it doesnt seem to me like "parents" asked for the assets to be hidden....i worked in a nursing home where the couple had 200K home(paid off), as well as 401k, military pensions, and several life ins policies and alot of CD's....but yet medicaid and the marine's pay for their stay...and no one is hiding their assets....sounds like darling son is hiding them, so they won't be used that way in the "end" there is more for him.....and THAT is shameful....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">