• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iv been threatened to be stabbed and killed in my own home by a family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sal50m

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
A family member has threatened to stab and kill me on several occasions with multiple witnesses and I fear for my life, do I have a case against him?:eek:

st-kitts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
A family member has threatened to stab and kill me on several occasions with multiple witnesses and I fear for my life, do I have a case against him?:eek:
Did you call the police to report the threat at the time it occurred?

If you are in fear right now, you should make an attempt to remove yourself from the danger as much as is possible even if that means moving out of your residence, staying with friends, filing for a restraining order or protective order, moving to a shelter, etc. Think of it this way: If you saw a truck coming toward you in oncoming traffic would you say "I think I am going to sue this driver for causing a head-on collision" or would you get the heck out of the way?

If you fear for your life, act accordingly.

CdwJava

You can seek a civil harassment order against the person if you wish. Those threats and witnesses would likely be strong probable cause to support the issuance of a stay away and no contact order.

If you are asking if there is a criminal allegation you can make, the answer is "maybe."

When he threatens you, call the police. But, understand that the threat has to be unequivocal and immediate. If he threatened to kill you a week ago and you never called the police nor took any steps to protect yourself, there's not likely any case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">