• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jail unpaid traffic fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathyhighhopes

What is the name of your state? PA
Today I found out that my son is going to jail for 14 days for unpaid traffic fines (no insurance, no inspection), unless I can come up with the money before 4:30pm. He owes $1,721. He has 5 children, lost his job last summer and is now working 2 low paying jobs but barely making enough to pay rent and utilities. What will happen after he gets out of jail, will he have a criminal record? I am worried sick about him being with other prisoners. He is not a criminal, just doesn't have the money to pay his fines.

S

seniorjudge

kathyhighhopes said:
What is the name of your state? PA
Today I found out that my son is going to jail for 14 days for unpaid traffic fines (no insurance, no inspection), unless I can come up with the money before 4:30pm. He owes $1,721. He has 5 children, lost his job last summer and is now working 2 low paying jobs but barely making enough to pay rent and utilities. What will happen after he gets out of jail, will he have a criminal record? I am worried sick about him being with other prisoners. He is not a criminal, just doesn't have the money to pay his fines.
"...What will happen after he gets out of jail, will he have a criminal record?..."
Yes.

Bravo8

Actually, the traffic offenses will not be recorded on his criminal history. Since the sentence is only 14 days, he will likely not be released into general population at the county lock-up...he'll probably be held in "holding", which is where they temporarily house prisoners. His contact with other prisoners will be minimal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">