• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jimmy Ryce Law in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elmopepe

What is the name of your state? FLorida

Before I make a long post out of this, does anyone here have knowledge of the Jimmy Ryce Civil Commitment laws in Florida?

Have a friend who was dating a 15 y/o when he was 18. Got probation, stupidly went back to her, and then got 5 years in jail. He was out on probation for 4 months, violated his curfew, was released a couple days later when his sentence expired, but was held by DFC for his Jimmy Ryce evaluation. Was recommended for civil commitment because he had some paranoid schizophrenia combined with his past. He is 23, has never really had a chance at life, and now the state is trying to civilly commit him indefinitely.

Just wondering if there is someone here who could maybe walk me through some of the options we have to help him with what many have labeled an unconstitutional and hazardous law.

elmopepe

Thanks for the link. I have uncovered that one as well as many others that deal with the topic. Most talk about how bad things are for people committed under this. I have yet to find one that talks about how to find the best representation and ways to help someone beat a civil commitment. Also, I have not found statistics that deal with this. I have read most of the case law from previous rulings also.

I am just hopeing someone on here has specific experience with this and can maybe lend some advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">